Skip to main content

Collect




I read this word and think instantly about four pairs of kid feet coated with sand running across the bare beach trying to collect sea shells.
That will be much of our week.  It's vacation time.
That time always brings out the collector in my kids. Porous pieces of sea life, broken pieces of driftwood, shells scalloped and colored in a myriad of ways.
Then the kids will go to some tacky beach shop and try to spend their savings on souvenirs to add to their already overflowing dresser.
Kids collect things.  I remember doing it and I watch this treasure hunt play out in the eyes of my kids today.
I looked at my girls' this week and finally asked for someone to clean up the mess that was peeking out from every corner.
"Wait!" third girl said, "These are my collections!" The priceless nature of these 'organized' toys brought to weight in a pair of serious four year old eyes.
Moriah is a collector.
A twilight hunter of fireflies. Her small fingers maneuvering the mason jar as she tries to force the electric bugs inside.
She is the one who always pauses to pick flowers. 
The other day she filled up her firefly jar with daisy petals.  "For the fireflies to have a place to sleep," She explained.
Later while other's explored an old abandoned property, peering into cob web encased windows  imagining stories about the fate of this building and what it could be, Moriah's golden head tilted towards the pine needled yard as she scooped up pine cones. I watched her pick out three and speak to the air loudly, "I love pine cones! I'll be giving this one to Miss Patsy. I love her so." Speaking of her elderly friend.

One day I impatiently tried to coax her away from a patch of gravel. 
She stood sifting through rough edged pieces and she wouldn't budge.
"These are my thankful rocks." She said dismissing my impatience.
Now her pine cones and rocks line my kitchen windowsill.  Sometimes when I'm cooking or cleaning I pause at the rocks and try to think of reasons to be thankful, matching the number of rocks looking back at me. Her little collection of forgotten barely seen pieces of gravel reminding me of what thoughts I should allow to collect in my mind. 

God collects things too.
Psalm 56:8 lists an intimate collection of God.  Our tears.
"You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book." (NLT)

God collects us too.  We are His jars of clay. Humanity.  That he invests within the treasure of His resurrection power and His Holy Spirit. Why?
“ ...to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us” (2 Cor 4:7).

We are part of God's treasured collection. Our value bestowed on us by the One who chose to take hold of us and fill us with His glorious self.
Lastly when I thought of the word collect I thought of all the ways we can try to tangibly count the goodness of God.  We can try by bending over tide pools and picking out shells, spying rocks like my girl, beholding sunsets, hiking new trails and breathing in the pine rich trees. We could try to collect in our minds eye every breath taking and beautiful God scene we can discover and we will never ever scratch the surface.  We will never ever run out of ways to find His beauty in the things He has made.  We can enjoy the hunt.  It is inexhaustible.
Like David said of God's thoughts in Psalm 139
"How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of the sand..."

John ends his account of Jesus' life with these words,
" Jesus did many other things as well.  If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."
I smile when I read these words because I sense John's exuberance over the endlessness of God.  The enormity of Him. The fact that though we might try to collect all the ways He is and all that He does...we never could. 
But we can have fun trying in all our simple ways...

Firefly collecting

Enjoying grandmas dress up collection

http://fiveminutefriday.com/


Comments

  1. What a sweet look at your little collector! I strikes me that as adults, we are quick to dismiss our children's collections, seeing them as junk or a mess, yet they are so important (big treasures) to our children. So, glad to be your FMF neighbor this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that we are part of God's treasured collection:) I love the image of all Moriah's collections...especially those thankful rocks! I could use a (small) collection of those myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God collects us." What a powerful statement. He goes out of His way to find us and draws us to Himself. He brings us back when we stray. Such amazing love! - Marie (mlsgregg.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer, you brought back a memory...the first time I saw a firefly, I was 40...and yes, I did do the Mason jar thing. But I let them out after a minute or two.

    I didn't feel qualified to care for that mystical light.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/07/your-dying-spouse-339-revelation-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think of all the memories she will have once she is grown. Also she is just adorable and I loved her hat. Have a wonderful day and a beautiful Saturday. I am loving these FiveMinuteFriday post and I am so glad I stumbled upon them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…