Skip to main content

Future

http://fiveminutefriday.com/

I see the word future and I think of the words Madelyn and I snuggled under yesterday morning.  She was up early and we shared a few scriptures together before the house turned noisy. The different words in the scripture touching me in different ways.
Words like consumed, wait, hope, and portion. 
Lamentations 3:22-24

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.

"The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I will hope in Him."

(NRSVCE)

I like reading the way these words are expressed in a few translations.

The Living Bible reads, "his compassion never end. It is only the Lord's mercies that have kept us from complete destruction. Great is His faithfulness; his loving-kindness begins afresh each day.  My soul claims the Lord as my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him."


And finally the NIV says,

" Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him."

Our future reads like this, "His compassions are new every morning." They will be with us tomorrow when we rise.  It's His love that means no matter what happens I won't be consumed.  Like the dam that holds the torrent of life at bay and absorbs the judgment I deserve, His love is my future.
As sure as the sun flings first light across the horizon and the earth opens its eyes to a new day so God's love rises up every day with new mercies to bestow on us. 
Compassions for us swell within Him.
In Charles Spurgeon's sermon The Compassion of Jesus he writes about the word compassion, "
Now, although this word is not used many times even by the Evangelists, yet it may be taken as a clue to the Savior’s whole life–and I intend thus to apply it to Him. If you would sum up the whole Character of Christ in reference to ourselves, it might be gathered into this one sentence, “He was moved with compassion."
We can be sure of His compassion.
Though we have been unfaithful or faithless He does remain faithful to us.  Like and unmovable anchor He stays the constant course of faithful unconditional love.
That's our future. Our hope to wake up to every day.
New mercies for today. 
I think of all of the ways I could have been consumed and the myriad of ways I'll never know that He protected me.
I ponder the ways He has loved me lately in unexpected, undeserved gifts.
Tenderly handing me people and opportunities I neither planned or could ever orchestrate.
The different translations exchange the words and expressions of  hope and waiting.
These words are connected. Hope and Wait.
Alexandre Dumas champions Hope and Wait here, "Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to a man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, "Wait and Hope."
We can wait because we have hope.
Hope is available when our portion is Jesus Himself.
Kara Tippets writes, "My hope is not in the absence of suffering and comfort returned.  My hope is in the presence of the One who promises never to leave or forsake, the One who declares nothing 'will be able to separate us from the love of God." (The Hardest Peace)
And yet it is God's love that separates us from our sure destruction.
Whatever our future entails it is always a tale of God's unfailing love toward us.
We could lose all, but we won't lose Him. 

Comments

  1. "Like the dam that holds the torrent of life at bay and absorbs the judgment I deserve, His love is my future."
    Thank you for this. You have a beautiful way with words.
    Your neighbor on fmf #28

    ReplyDelete
  2. New mercies every day. That is our future hope. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. My mornings, before the house turns noisy (we have a sanctuary for unwanted and abused Pit Bulls, and at sunup they WANT THEIR BREAKFAST), I often think on the grace that the Lord gives, that quiet time to reflect on His limitless compassion.

    Need that, as I am dying. Painfully and in some humiliation, but not resentfully.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/06/your-dying-spouse-318-pain-glory-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That verse in Lamentations is so comforting, and I love the Kara Tippetts quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful for the Lord's compassion and grace. :-) Thanks for your encouraging post. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…