Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes: You (31 Lessons: Be You)

www.holleygerth.com

Be you.
It's a message we are commonly told, but with good reason.  
For many of us that can be quite a challenge.  
I believe the ability to be yourself is a complex strength.  
I know this much about it, you must be deeply secure in your identity.  Or you will always be uncomfortable with who you are.  
Many times I have been a chameleon.  It's not something I'm happy about, it's just the truth. 
I grew up with a deep root of shame that something was inherently wrong with me.  It has been a shadow casting it's darkness in the years of my life.  Like that elephant in my life rooms. When you wear shame, you aren't free to be the real you.  You try to change that person because you are convinced that person is wrong and flawed. 
Here's an example.  I remember from a very early age thinking and believing I would be lucky if anyone ever loved me.  That I didn't deserve love and any bit of love I found I needed to hang tightly too.  
I remember always telling other people God loved them and would forgive them of any and everything, but that message eluded me.  I told people all the louder because I wanted that message to somehow reach me.  It was this belief that I stood on the outside of the fence because I was too flawed to be the recipient of God's love and grace.  
Usually one day that false person or that person you are trying to be ends up collapsing.  It comes to light. This is ugly, humiliating, and plain old hard; however, its a grace of God.  It's a door to freedom.  It's you dropping all the things you have been juggling and never did a good job of and picking up who God made you to be instead.  
Sometimes time and wisdom makes us drop each person we are trying to be until all that's left is who we actually are, but sometimes we don't stop all of that craziness until we trip in a big way and lose them all.  We are forced to face the music and do the hard work of finding out who we are and finding out what God actually thinks about us.  
I've done a lot of excavating this year in that category. Something I wish I had done for so long.  Had I done this I wouldn't have been so hungry for approval, I would have been secure and not in need.  
I have found it is so much easier to believe the truth of God's love for others and exclude yourself.  Do you really believe in the unabashed unrelenting love of God for you? If you don't you will seek it out somewhere and maybe in a million different places....And it will come up ugly and empty.  
Do you find yourself believing the things you are telling others? Make sure you do.  It's most important you do.  
On a ligher note what are some things about you that you might wish to change for others, but are the real you? 
Example. What is something you really find fun even if no one else does? 
I like what Gretchen Rubin says in her book the Happiness Project: 
"I felt like the things that other people enjoyed were more valuable, or more cultured...more, well, legitimate.  But now it was time to "Be Gretchen." I needed to acknowledge to myself what I enjoyed not what I wished I enjoyed.  If something was really fun for me, it would pass this test: I looked forward to it; I found it energizing, not draining, and I didn't feel guilty for it later." (pg. 116). 
She describes all sorts of things she wanted to like, but found if honest she didn't enjoy.  She seemed a bit embarrassed to admit things she actually loved but when she embraces those things and is true to the natural way God made her she is happy.  
We need this security that the way God has designed us is good and that it is okay even if it isn't the normal.  

So here's a few things I wish I enjoyed...
Gardening, baking, running five k races, babysitting and working with kids that aren't my own, camping, watching tv, animals, routines, sleep.. I could name many...
What does Somer actually like?
Cooking *not baking - way different, running short distances, playing with my own kids, hiking (no sleeping on the ground involved),  reading books, knowing and loving people (sorry animals), going to new places, having a lot of variety, learning ( i would love to be in school)

Recently I had a friend give me a wonderful piece of honesty.  She told me she didn't like something that I loved.  She said it in a gentle and nice way and this was uncharacteristic of her to do.  It was good for both of us.  "We are so much alike, but not here." 
I laughed and then we bantered a bit about how we are different.  And we are better for being different.  
We are always healthiest when we are okay with being who God made us to be and also okay with others how God crafted them to be.  We give each other graceful permission to be living in the fullest glory God gave to each of us.  And He did give us each a glory and will return us to our fullest glory. 
I really think so much of the wonder of Heaven will be in the people walking around completely free to be themselves and not even noticing it.  A complete release of self consciousness in the reality of Jesus presence.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…