Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes # Walk

31 Days of Free Writes

Every October bloggers from everywhere participate in a thirty one day writing challenge. 
You can pick a theme, a series, or you can participate in 31 Days of Free Writing with Word prompts given.
I think this is fun and takes your minds and thoughts in different directions than usual. 
These specific word prompts are found here 31 Days of Free Writes

Why don’t you try? It’s fun!

Day One: Walk

Walk


Whenever I think of walk I think of two things.  My dad and Psalm 1. 
They kind of go together.
Psalm 1 opens like this,
“Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked…”
Psalm 1 is short, powerful but condense and sketches out the attributes of a man deeply connected to God.  I guess its David’s concise character sketch of what walking with God is like. 
My dad and I from time to time have memorized scripture together and we always start here or go back to this passage.  We would quote it to each other and it just seemed to fit my dad. 
My dad walks with the Lord and he also walks a lot physically too. 
Growing up fitness was always important to my dad.  But you would never catch him jogging or running laps around the neighborhood.  Just walking.  But fast.
On Sundays and some warmer evenings I would join my dad.  I remember following him when I was in middle or highschool as his walking gait would almost match my jog.  His arms swinging swiftly by his side (not in an exaggerated fashion like a power walk which he would deem ‘goofy’) but in small, but deft motions cutting the distance between him and the next mile.  We would have our weekly conversations during these walks, albeit I would do much of the talking to my dad slightly winded trying to keep up with him. 
He would smile at the end and say, “We walked our 4.7 miles Somer.” That was back before fit bits and step counting mechanisms.  He mapped out his mileage course with his car and wasn’t really satisfied with his walk unless it met the aforemtioned trek.
I’ve always loved my dad for many different things.
I find myself walking at a fast pace usually.  Not purposefully just out of habit trying to keep up with my dad.  
The word walk reminds me of two of these things.  
Firstly, my dad’s spiritual walk of faith. Like the Psalm 1 man my dad has delighted in the law of the Lord and meditated on this law day and night.  I regularly almost daily saw my dad read his One-Year Bible quietly in his reclining chair.  Not flamboyantly or speaking with fervor and trying to tell everyone what he was reading.  Just sitting silently by himself.  I would watch his lips moving noiselessly over the words as his fingers traced the words. After he would take His bible back to the kitchen table or side table where it was left open to the next day’s reading.  It wasn’t flashy, but it was an unspoken practice I observed.
Secondly, my dad’s commitment to physical health.  Sometime in my dad’s thirties he decided to be health conscious.  Little health tweaks here and there and I can say that his health habits continue. He has periods of regression, but he seems to come back.  It wasn’t all at once, but just one simple change at a time.  Like the day he told my mom he wouldn’t drink soda the next week and then never did again.  For several years. Except for that one time he accidentally drank some sprite in a bowl of punch. He's quick to add that in there incase you think he's never tripped up.  
Just a simple change and then a new amount of ground gained in pursuit of better health.  He doesn’t spend much time talking about, just doing it.
And man, can he walk.  And fast.  It’s still almost like my jog.  
And those two things can fit nicely together. Spiritual walking and physical walking.  Spiritual health and physical health.  They are joined together many times.  
Psalm 1:3 says that man whose delight is God’s word is a like a “tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither – whatever they do prospers.”  That person is verdant.  They keep yielding fruit despite the passage of time or presence of storms. 
That’s so my dad.  He seems to keep getting better with time. His body keeps getting older, but His spirit isn't dulling.  He keeps going.  



My dad, walking with his second grand child held close 

Comments

  1. Hey, Somer! Thanks for visiting my blog and in turn me finding you. This post is beautiful. ".....Tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither – whatever they do prospers.” This reminds me of Isaiah 58:11, ....thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not."
    Write on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…