Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes : Sky (31 Lessons : True Blue Friends)

When I read the word sky I instantly thought of my friend Stacie.
I met Stacie in second grade and we remained close. friends until we graduated from high school.  Stacie had a profound impact on my life.  Stacie had a very deep relationship with Jesus and was a well of spiritual wisdom and insight from a very early age.  I went to church with Stacie, sat in Bible studies she led during high school, and listened to Stacie pray.  Listening to Stacie pray was unlike anything I had heard.  She spoke so ardently to God that listening to her communicate with Him left you wanting to hear more.  More of the conversation.  Hear more of such real conversation. It was no simple, "God bless this food" or "God heal this or provide this".  It was more like a child speaking confidently and with full passion to their Father and the conversations lasted at length.  It wasn't forced, showy, or pretentious.  Hearing it left you knowing it was nothing but authentic.
Whenever I think about godliness I think about Stacie.  Unkindness never crossed her lips, she never said ill things of anyone, and she was always positive.  Stacie was very funny, but in the purest of ways.  So much laughter, but of the sweet and innocent kind.

One thing Stacie and I did over the years was to call each other on the wall phone (no one had cell phones) whenever we saw a beautiful sky.  Yes, no texts of , "Look at that sky!" or "Did you see the moon?" Our calls were short and sweet.  Enthusiastic observations.   We shared the sky.
As the years have passed I have always been fascinated with looking at the sky.  It started in our friendship, but it didn't leave me.
If the moon is full and  hanging low, golden and cradled on the edge of the horizon I always call my parents.  The moon round and low always takes my breath away and I always have to tell someone.  It's like that feeling of, "This is to beautiful, too unordinary to miss it."  It always strikes me when I see a fiery sunrise or sunset or a brilliant blue sky marbled with soft wispy clouds that glory is around us every day and we barely awake to it.
Stacie and I shared the sky joy and I awoke to how glorious it was.  I never went back to sleep. :)
Stacie lives in the United Kingdom as a missionary now, but sometimes I still think about the sky she looks up at.  That even though I can't see her, hear her voice, or visit her I can still look at the sky and and know it's endless expanse covers her too.
Thinking of Stacie and the word sky reminds me of a Shoe box card I still have from her that said something about the importance of True Blue friends.
New friends are important, they are the candidates for our old friends one day...but they are still new.
Old friends or True Blue friends are irreplaceable.
Do you have some?
I do.  God has really blessed me with several friendships from many years ago.  Friendships that lasted past the decades and all of the life changes.  New friends are needed, but old friends help us find our way when we have lost it.  They know us.  They know who we have been both good and bad our strengths and weaknesses.  They love us past this season, these handful of moments.  They have been with us and will be with us.  They are in it for the long haul.
They've watched you get married, been a bridesmaid, threw you baby showers, held your baby fresh out of the womb, ran fast behind you in playground freeze tag, and passed the volleyball to you in the gym of your old high school.  They have long been with you.
To maintain these friendships requires intention, but not a crazy amount.  Old friends aren't insecure that you are going to leave them or it's over.  They know you and know that your friendship is held fast and safe in the tension of time.  It's a part of who you are, your story, and you won't be ending it even if months stretch out without a conversation.
Just like a clear blue sky, old friends help us see our lives more clearly. Help us clear away the clouds of now and see our lives from a better bird's eye view.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…