Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes : Park



Kite flying fun 



Park
I smiled when I read this word prompt.  It's light, breezy, azure.  It's cheerful, playful, and full of laughing children life.
This word prompted me to reflect for a few minutes on all of the park hopping my girls and I have done for the past almost nine years.  The nine years of being a mama. I need parks.  Places to go and leave home.  Places of play and recreation to reframe all of our minds and attitudes.  Mine and theirs.
I decided to look through old pictures and saw my first two girls round cheeked and babies playing in mulch and with chubby legs hanging loose out of swings.  Feet never close to brushing the dirt.  It's funny how now oldest girls sneakers shuffle sliding all over loose sandy dirt.  Legs long now.
I saw pictures of kids running from geese, a picture of a quite funny goose we visited regularly and fed named Ezra.
A collection of memories flooded back.
Picnics on old quilts stained with juice boxes and slices of watermelon.
Legs dangling from monkey bars.
Slides we cheered and coaxed kids to come down.
The time I decided to let my daughter slide down with me and we shot out landing hard.
Emergency bath room runs or perhaps the time we fell in a creek and my two year old ran around in some cartoon undies and a tee shirt and sneakers.
Parks we scattered unending bags of saved stale bread to the swarm of ever approaching ducks.
Hills my kids have rapidly rolled down, rumbling and tumbling over steep soft yet uneven earth grabbing grass with their shirts and dancing with the dirt.
See saws, swift merry-go rounds, and sand boxes shoveled through.
There were all the hours I spent knowing other mothers. Our conversations were rich, but halting between kid rescues and trips down the slides and conversations enjoyed a bit at the safe slow of swing pushing.
Yes, I've become close to friends in wide open spaces draped with jewel blue skies with the background music of so much squealing, chasing, hide n seek and imaginative play.
Let me describe my favorite park to you.
It's a quiet, gentle gem that you barely ever notice.
I usually rotate parks and my city has many.
One day waiting for my girls to finish art class I found the perfect playground park tucked into the iron fenced corner of an adorable neighborhood.
Bright playhouses stand ready for games of house, play equipment complete with a trap door and sand box.  Climbing structures with many angles and a tall slide perched up top.
And for the moms wishing to actually talk?
A park small enough to watch everyone at one time and a fence that hems all kids in and keeps others out.
 It even has tables with umbrellas and Adirondack chairs to kick back.
As a bonus a cup-cakery is diagonal across the street.  It's the perfect park that is tended with care and beautiful flowers.
Really its a neighborhood park that resembles a fun backyard for kids to play with abandon and moms to sit back and breathe easy.  It's lovely.
So thankful for parks and all of the childhood we've spent there....

Hill Running (And falling) 

First baby with newfound swing joy..8 years ago! 

Fourth baby wrapped up against March coolness on his first trip to our favorite neighborhood park 

Peter Pan themed park 

Some Wild Goose Chase, 2nd Girl is making some loud noise 
And the perfect treat for after park play
An adorable cupcake 

or some sweet cups of mint chocolate chip and birthday cake 


Hide N Seek 



Comments

  1. What a lovely post, Summer, and enchanting pictures.

    I have a memory of a park I rediscovered as an adult, as a combat veteran who was once a child.

    And I played on the swings.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/10/your-dying-spouse-222-question-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love parks to walk in and have fun. I'm always on the hunt for another park to peruse and walk the foot paths.

    I'm in agreement with Andrew: "What a lovely post, Summer, and enchanting pictures."

    My post is here:
    https://awifesreflections.wordpress.com/2016/10/20/the-car-park

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun words, Somer! When my boys were little, I was usually on the look out for a good park too. Your words brought back memories of my girlhood spent in parks with my sisters and friends. One park had a giant concrete frog, and we could slide down it's almost straight up and down back. Another nearby park had a concrete sea monster, that we loved climbing on. :)

    I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the combination of your pictures and creative words, I totally was there with you and your family. I love parks. As you said a place to go to leave home. Sometimes that is very much needed as a mommy. hope you are having a good weekend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…