Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes : Neighbor, 31 Lessons : Know Your Places and Your People

It always strikes me with irony that most people don't know their neighbors.  Well maybe its just younger busy couples or people. People my age or bracket.
People rush in and out to and from places, and its usually our neighbors that we glance at as we take out recycling or hear through open windows.
But do we know them? And do we ever reach out in friendship? Or care?
I remember being very connected to the neighbor hood kids that congregated at our house growing up.
My mom was that neighborhood mom.  You know, the mom whose house the kids all flocked to?  The house with the snacks, the crowded basement, and the baseball games and sprinkler runs down the back yard slope?
I have a very funny memory of my mom's summer game of 'Kitchen Window'  A game she came up with for kids to try to get tennis balls into her small second story kitchen window. (While she was cooking dinner)  I don't know how it started but if we could actually make a tennis ball into the second story window without her playing goalie and deflecting  it with her roll of aluminum foil we won the game.  When you are very short and small it takes awhile to make it in there :) The neighborhood kids loved this game and my quirky mother.
She always let us "Play".  An allotted time.  Usually a two hour time frame that ended promptly at 5 during the week day before my dad arrived home from work.

This summer my own family and I moved back to our "old house" that feels new to us again and our street is swimming with kids.  When we left and only had one buddy to play with, but now there are several.
In fact today my front yard was dotted with a mosaic of freshly fallen brown crunchy leaves and ten bare foot children.  *Some were mine of course.
I have found myself enjoying my brief chats with the neighbor moms or our beloved next door neighbors.  It gives a sense of home and security when you share love and life with neighbors.
You take thick slices of cake across the grass on china plates and share the love.
You exchange simple Christmas gifts or wreaths.
You help move in furniture or clear off sidewalks
You look after each others pets
You offer ice cream cones to kids dripping puddles of cream all over the front stoop.  Or hot chocolate and marshmallows across the chain link fence on cold days.
You walk across the sidewalk waving at each other and asking about life.
You sit on each other's back deck and eat hamburgers and watch each other's kids chase the summer night lights of fireflies...
You pray for them. I have been so blessed by hearing my kids lead their dad and I in prayer for their neighbor friends.
(And yes sometimes we have those difficult neighbors that we avoid at all costs, or sometimes we can become that annoying neighbor or are that neighbor of angst)
It takes intentionality, but being a friendly neighbor and knowing the people if possible that actually live next to your own patch of grass is important.
While we were gone for the year and few months, my favorite neighbor, a 94 year old man died.
Today as I watched my newly walking one year old stumble across the falling magnolia leaves and hand me a waxy yellow one I was sad that I couldn't look out and watch my elderly neighbor sipping his rose colored wine and hear him tell me again me how lucky I was to have "those kids and please tell them I love them. God love them. But tell me you aren't having any more. " His constant slightly slurred five o clock refrain, his eyes misty.

The word neighbor also makes me think of neighborhood and that extends past just the "hood" or whatever you live in.  It's good to know the actual area and town you live in.  To find things within your city to explore, be a part of, and enjoy.
It's something that kind of automatically happens from being a part of the work force or your kid's school or a local church, but many times in the rush of life we have to be intentional to actually know the places we live.
For example, I remember when a cousin of mine came up to visit when I was in grade school.  He told my parents he was visiting a natural bridge that he had heard was near our home.  The funny thing was my family hadn't visited the bridge in so many years that we couldn't even remember it.  My cousin drove about three hours and took my sister and I to a place that was in close proximity to our home that we hadn't frequented. He took lots of pictures of a place we just knew by the billboards we passed on the interstate.
Isn't it funny that the places we are near are many times the places we don't come to know.
They are near and 'reachable' and so many times we never venture to go.
We aren't intentional.
Where's a spot in your places of life that you know and love? The you have intentionally scoped out or perhaps stumbled upon? ( I can think of a park my husband and I frequented in the town we went to college in, it was a special place that always reminds me of us and young love).
A place that deepens the richness of experience of living where you do? (This weekend we will go hiking to the same place we go every October, all together because it's what we do and it is a seasonal rhythm)
A place that brings you joy that is near you? A place that has finger printed your family? (That place that you all prefer for a thin and crispy pizza or where you want to Saturday morning breakfast?)
Or a place interwoven into the memories of your family yet connected to your community?

This topic of knowing that which is near made me think of the people in our own homes.  The people that we are supposed to know the most yet sometimes know actually the least.
Do we make an intentional effort to actually know the people we share a bathroom with, a bed with, and a spin cycle with?
How do we practice intention with these neighbors so that they never become drifting strangers floating away on one sofa as we are isolated on another in the same room?
Intention is the force but there are so many different ways to achieve this knowing. Ways that fit you personally.
 I've started to play a silly game with my husband that has this desire behind it, to know someone more that I think I already fully know...
Even though we have known each other now half our lives almost I ask to be told something he likes, wants, or enjoys and something he remembers that I don't know about. That is unrelated to me and the him I knew and know.  The him that was before me and separate of me.  That I might know Him. And keep knowing Him. That I might keep knowing the growing Him that isn't the same Him I used to know.
It's a fun game and kind of surprising. With poignant responses and unexpected funny ones too.

Finally, knowing that which is near reminds me of this verse in Acts 17:26-27
"And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though he is not far from each one of us."

God has set us in these places at these times with these people and with these boundaries that we should seek Him and find Him and know Him.  And He is near, not far from each one of us.  He's on the street where we live, the home we share, the witness to every thought, dream, and whisper of our heart.
Do we make intention to really know that which is within the realm of our touch?  The natural elements, the family, friends, and the God?
Do we rush past the familiar, obvious, the always there for something else and miss out on the rich here?
We all do, without intention.

This was when I was just getting to know my husband.  Many years ago.
 I'm sorry we let that wane.  But we have started again :) And it is fun 





Comments

  1. Beautiful post, Sommer. I should go across the street and say "Hi" to my neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Somer ... thanks for the gentle reminder that those houses around our neighborhood have people inside that might be looking for what we have to offer.

    What a good prompt you've given us, friend ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…