Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes: Little, 31 Days : Pursue Creativity and Personal Ideas


My baby girl is a week shy of being four.  She's at the age where so many of her statements are just adorable.  Things that make you smile while she nods her head and her eyes widen big emphasizing a story.
She has been using this seeming contradictory adjective to describe things lately, "Little- Big".
She's 'little- big' and so are many things she likes.  This makes me laugh every time. Yes, she's a little girl with a big personality.
It reminds me of this quote I recently read by Paul Kelly, "From little things big things grow."  
This quote is applicable to all of life, but it really related to the thoughts my girls and I read this past weekend.
Sometimes when I get library books I try to go for themes.  Of course there always a few straggling off topic books but often times I will try to have the books relate to one another.  Three books we read this week talked about ideas and two of them more especially about one curious boy turned prolific inventor Thomas A. Edison.
Have you ever studied Edison?
I remember being a child and watching a biographical black and white movie about Edison's life.  I can picture some scenes from this movie.  Edison taking naps when staying up around the clock tending to a project, an experiment, working on a deadline.
I remember the excitement when he "turned on all the lights" in a particular area of New York City and a scene from Menlo Park. His laboratory.
I had forgotten so much of this movie, but these books were filled with trivia and details of Edison's amazing story.



  It amazed me that Thomas only had a few months of formal education.  His mother dissatisfied with his teacher who insulted Thomas's intelligence decided to educate Thomas herself.  She allowed his experiments and Thomas voraciously read.  One book listed his proclivity to read entire shelves of library books. He loved to learn.  
Thomas's intelligence and curiosity was nurtured by his mother who he described, "the most enthusiastic champion a boy ever had."  
Thomas' story is incredible which you know if you have ever read about it. He went on to patent 1,093 inventions. Without Edison we wouldn't hold an iPod and listen to music (He invented the phonograph), we wouldn't have vending machines, the incandescent light bulb, movies, cement, electric power grid, x rays (fluoroscope), and so many more things.  
Edison was quoted to say of his work, "I never did a day's work in my life.  It was all fun." Edison was well known to work around the clock with little sleep.  Yet it was enjoyable to him and he was not put off by failure.  He said, "I know several thousand things that won't work." 
That's an indefatigable spirit fueled by a love for figuring things out and creating something new, something unseen to others, but alive in his mind.  His ideas realized in real life.  
His ideas had to start somewhere.  In his mind, his heart, and fueled by all of the things he studied and was interested in.  
That leads me to the book my girls and I read three times this weekend .
What Do You Do With An Idea?
This book is clever.  A child discusses his idea, from conception through it's formation, nurturing, through discouraging times where the child almost gives up on his idea due to the criticism of others and yet he decides to hang onto this idea.  
"I worried what others would think.  What would people say about my idea?" He asks. 
He describes the joy of his idea with these words, "But there was something magical about my idea.  I had to admit, I felt better and happier when it was around." 
My favorite lines in the book comes after the boy decides he will hang onto his idea, "But then I realized, what do they know?  This is my idea, I thought.  No one knows it like I do.  And it's okay if it's different, and wierd, and maybe a little crazy. I decided to protect it, to care for it.  I fed it good food.  I worked with it, I played with it.  But most of all, I gave it my attention." 
The pages turn from mostly colorless illustrations to colorful pages after the idea comes to life.  The idea is finally a success and the book closes with these words, "And, then I realize what you do with an idea...You change the world." 

I read this book slowly three times to my oldest girl to make sure she soaked it in.  I wanted her to latch on to this.  It was the perfect punctuation to our books about Thomas Edison.  It was symbolic in a way of Edison and all of his individual ideas.  All 1093 of them.  
My oldest girl spills over with ideas.  Always. 
I try to foster this, but sometimes her ideas kind of wear me out.  After reading about Thomas I don't want to dampen that spirit within my oldest. 
The spirit of creativity that conceives an idea and gets the delight of seeing it come to real life.  
It all starts with an idea, and an idea comes from what we digest mentally.  
All of the things we decide to study become new tools we then create with.  
We get great joy from creating because we are image bearers of a creating God whose mind thought and then His words formed every plant, splash of water, and human eye we have ever seen.  He gave us the joy of creating when He graced us with His image.

What about you? Do you have an idea that has been deeply embedded in your heart, blossomed in all of its vast layers within your mind, and grabs at your spirit?  What is it?
What will you do with it?
Will you discard it under the scrutiny of others or will you decide instead that it is fine if no one else is passionate about it or can envision it as you can...Because after all it is your brilliantly beautiful idea... :)
I love what Emily P. Freeman says on her blog, "I’m convinced that the world is teeming with great ideas hiding in the shadows and that beautiful art is locked inside the minds and hearts of people like you."  She goes on to list four reasons we neglect or give up on our art, our ideas.  It's so worth the read: 



This article very interesting, listing the way that imagination comes largely from what we take in and memorize.  

Or maybe you are like me and don't have so many amazing ideas, maybe just a couple ideas personal to you that hover in the corners of your brain. You think and play with them some, but quickly shelve them if they seem silly or frivolous.
Or maybe you are also a mom or dad or spouse that is believing in someone else's dream or idea?
You're the dreamcatcher when someone decides to give up.  You keep believing for them.
Maybe it's just a little-big.  Like my youngest girl says.  Something little now, like the egg shaped idea in the book.  But it grows and matures over time and something quite big is one day born.
It's important to be that champion like Edison described his mother to be.  We all need someone who believe in us and our interwoven ideas.  So we will believe in them too.  We give each other the courage to confidently create.

www.holleygerth.com

Comments

  1. What a great post, Somer! I had no idea about some aspects of Thomas Edison's life that you shared.

    My boys have lots of ideas. I try to remember to encourage them in these, even when they sound far-fetched. they both have pretty amazing imaginations, so you might be able to envision (or maybe not :) ).

    My ideas tend to rotate around writing and stories and such. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are wild with ideas. Isn't it disheartening when we can't seem to pull off yet another idea...
      It's always a treat when one actually comes into being.

      Delete
  2. Somer,
    That book you described about the child with the idea is just darling! It also reminded me of my grown-up self since when I'm convinced about something, even if it's strange, I embrace it as my own, then later think why did I think that idea was so amazing?! :)

    I also love how you encourage your girls' big ideas -- Somer, that is a gift and you must know what a treasure you are to mother those girls like you do and how they are learning to grow in God with your nurturing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie you were just the person I thought of when I read that article by Freeman. :). I think you are filled with amazing ideas and we are all in need of them. 💛

      Delete
  3. Hi Somer ... reading to my kids all those years ago and now my grandchildren? One of life's loveliest, coziest gifts. If there's any snapshots laying around of me and them along the way, we're probably immersed in a book, all a tangle of arms and legs and love ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry I am so late on this but I had to come over her to hear another story of your life. I love the idea of picking a theme to get at the library. what a good idea! I am thankful that my big kid loves hearing me read books. I wasn't going to be that mom that was intentional about reading but she made me into it.
    I am like you. I don't have any great ideas. that is my husband. He is the visionary in our family. I most definitely try to encourage him because God has most certainly gifted him. ok going over to your FMF post now. see ya over there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…