Skip to main content

Collect

http://katemotaung.com

I read the word prompt collect and i remembered.
The first poem I wrote for my oldest girl was entitled, "Collections".
I remember writing it out for my then three old.
It was quaint, probably disjointed, but from the heart.
It was a poem that journeyed her through a list of people we knew and described their personal collections.
There was a section on sweet Miss Mary and all of her costume jewelry.
Another verse described her then living uncle and his yard spilling over with his collection of basically broken down cars he would one day fix.
Mrs. Rose landed solidly in the poem for her proclivity to collect anything that ever graced her eyes that hailed from Texas.  Even bags of potato chips. "We better buy two. They are from Texas." She insisted.  Inwardly my eyes rolled.
The poem was silly in nature, but ended with the verse about my daughter and I.
I can't remember the lines but the summary was simple.

I told my girl in haphazard rhymes that I didn't collect stamps, coins, jewelry, or anything.  The only thing I wanted to be collecting were memories.  Beautiful, rich and lovely memories. Memories with her. And others we loved.
I remember that I described that I had many memories to sort through and revisit.
And I do.  And they are my treasures.
Like shells on a wide expanse of shore line I would mentally walk back through the beach of my life and pick them up.
I would recollect them. Re-collect the memories like smooth shells on the beach and remember how full my life was.
And this re-collection of the collection of memories was my most prized possession.
The only collection I most wanted.

I've lost the poem. And I know it was rough and choppy but as I saw the word collect I couldn't help but remember the quaint words that spelled out my heart.  To my girl.
She was now a contributor of so may of those memories. And I wanted to keep adding to them.
We would collect our memories and we would be rich not in things that clutter (even though we do have quite a bit) but in things of love. Things we could remember.  Things that would re-member us back together when times were dark and tough.
I like the way Gretchen Rubin describes the importance of happy memories kept alive and at our mind's forefront, "Studies show that recalling happy times helps boost happiness in the present.  When people reminisce, they focus on positive memories, with the result that recalling the past amplifies the positive and minimizes the negative...Happy people remember happy events better, and depressed people remember sad events better. " (The Happiness Project)
We all have the dark, the awful, the nightmare memories. And we all can mark them down and sometimes we cling to them.  Just like collections of dolls or knick knacks our negative memories coated with a thick layer of hurt can clutter our mind and leave little room for what has been good.  For what has been right.  For what hasn't gone wrong.
Over and over we read from scientific sources, spiritual sources, and even today in yet another article.
Write down five good memories today, five positives a day, five good things in your life now.
Collect them down on paper.
You will be happier. Statistically it is by 25 per cent.
Collect the good memories and then re-collect them over and over.
There's plenty of space in your mind....

Meredith at 3 being a bride (one small memory in the collection) 

My girl now...Many more memories 



Comments

  1. Beautiful story! The intangible really make the best collections don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! And I wish I had collected memories in a more organized manner when my kids were little. I love your idea of write down five positives each day--those are the good kinds of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have lost the poem, SUmmer, but God hasn't. He's holding it in His hands, etched into gold, to give you when you meet Him.

    And if it ain't from Texas, it ain't nuthin'. So says the Stetson wearing Chinaman who's writing this.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/09/your-dying-spouse-213-lethal-lessons-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of your poem, and so true that the most important thing to collect is happy memories. It's great how holding onto those can continue to bring us happiness in the present.
    Did you get the emails I sent you about guest posting for my 31 Days series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! And yes I am going to participate. I'll email you soon!

      Delete
  5. Ah, and how we collect the memories of our families eh. Visiting from fmf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Creating and recalling memories sounds like the best gift you could ever give your girl. Visiting from FMF#41

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer! This made me say Ahaaa... so sweet and love it! I think memories are such an awesome thing to collect. It kinda made me also think of God. When we hold onto those memories of when He was faithful, it helps us to press on. thanks for sharing and coming by at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somer, what a beautiful post! Collecting memories . . . I love that. And how wonderful that you're teaching your girl to do that. Choosing to focus on the happy memories is such a good practice. Being able to laugh and remember good events definitely lifts the spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…