Skip to main content

Hidden

Five Minute Fridays
http://katemotaung.com
Hidden

Silently creeping along the carpet, stilling our breath so we couldn't be detected.  I remember our deliberate steps around our childhood house as a group of kids scattered to find a hiding place in the complete dark.  My sister and I always stuffed pillows in all the basement windows so no one could see the hand in front of their faces as five neighborhood children blended into corners or angles of the house undetected.  It was how we passed hot summer days.  Days too hot to be outside.  The games would last for hours.
 Our long games continued when we moved into middle and even high school.  Our dad would participate.  It didn't really matter that we weren't necessarily children anymore.  I remember the way we ran away screaming as teenagers as we searched the dusk to find my dad.  We had to really look to find him. He finally dropped out of the apple tree we were standing under sending my sister and I sprinting off into the almost dark screaming like small childen.
One night in college after boredom set in roommates began turning off all lights and our four girl town house turned into a hide and seek playground.
It seemed kind of funny to be doing, but we all had fun and hid the night away.
One thing I always remember about hide and seek was the way my back tingled whenever someone came almost into my hiding place, stared, and I hushed my breathing and willed myself not to move.
The game never got old.
My girls play it and every time someone isn't caught the same look of delight spreads across faces as one of them ends the game declaring to everyone, "No one found me!"
Even in our games now I believe dads are always the best at hiding.
In the past few months the word hidden has been a frequent guest in my mind.
In different contexts...
Hidden sin...
Hidden pain....
Hidden hurt...
Being Hidden in God...
What does it mean for God to be out Hiding place?
The idea of God being our Hiding place, our refuge appears several times throughout scripture.
I haven't really thought about it in years past.
I've prayed many times over the past year for God to teach me what that means.
Our sins aren't hidden from God (Psalm 19:2, Psalm 69:5), our longings aren't hidden from God (Psalm 38:9), our body was hidden from sight and created in secret by the God  who has an intimate knowledge of every millisecond of our lives and fabric of our being (Psalm 139), we cannot hide in a place where we can't be found by God (Psalm 139).
And yet..
God wants us to hide in Him.

He desires to illuminate our darkness when we hide ourselves in Him. We spend time hiding in him and then He reveals the hidden to us.

We enter into quiet honest time with Him and while we hide we are actually seeking Him.
Our real life, our true self is made within the hidden.  That's the only way our spiritual life is authentic.  When the deep hidden space between our hearts quiet and hide from the rest of the world to listen to His voice.
We hide from the rest of the world to seek Him and he promises this,

"Call to me and I will answer You, and tell you great and mighty things which you do not know." (Jeremiah 33:3)
He reveals the hidden to us.

Perhaps something that was obvious becomes clear. Somethings that we were too busy, too loud, too noisy, too distracted, or too arrogant to understand when we neglected to pull away and know Him.

"Prayer - secret fervent believing prayer-lies at the root of all personal godliness....No learning can make up for the failure to pray.  No earnestness, no diligence, no study, no gifts will supply its lack. Talking to men for God is a great thing, but talking to God for men is greater still.  He will never talk well and with real success to men for God who has not learned well how to talk to God for men.  More than this, prayerless words in the pulpit and out of it are deadening words." (Ouch!)
Those words struck me deeply written boldly in The Complete Collection of E.M. Bounds on Payer.
Matthew 6 calls us to this secret, hidden from the world time of communing with God.  It's in this secret that we are made...

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others.  Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. " (Matthew 6:5-7)

God promises to reward us with the gift of Himself when we hide ourselves in the secret, seeking Him.  It's the ultimate and most rewarding hide and seek.
Some every day hiding places....




Comments

  1. This is beautiful- I love your thoughts on God being our hiding place. Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tad bit longer than five minutes...but you spoke good words. :) God...our hiding place indeed. visiting from FMF #39,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…