Skip to main content

31 Days of Free Writes # Capture


Capture...

I let the words marble roll through my head.  "Capture..Capture.." I'm saying it and thinking of shutters snapping to capture moments in framed slices of life.  I'm saying Capture and thinking of a princess captured tight in a dungeon...
Capture...I stumble on..
Capture the Flag.  I say inside and smile.  Instantly I'm back in elementary school at field day thick soccer turf resting under my feet.
Kids fast running towards the safe zone, pony tails whipping behind little girl heads.
Boys chasing and almost catching, girls smiling wide when they escape.
The risk taker boy who always seems to make it through the thick of the kids letting people out of jail.
I'm ten again running as fast as my short legs can stride.  Muggy May humidity kissing soft curls around ear edges.  We are chasing hard, wildly after the boy clutching that red and white flag.  A group of us has formed and he is so close.  We run faster and faster across that seemingly endless field of verdant grass. Footsteps pounding, kids yelling pleading "Get him!"
That fast italian boy the speed of our fifth grade class dodging everyone and winning the game.
We all abrupt stop and catch our breath.

I loved the chase.  I loved the risk taking of trying to get past the group.  I loved the way it felt to have to run as hard and as urgently as you could to make it.  I loved the idea of trying to avoid capture and taunting that silly boy that almost tagged you...
I like the word capture because to say it is to feel some passion.
To desire to capture anything means you badly want and are willing to risk, to pursue to have heart
And to be captured means you were wildly pursued, sought after....
Capture..it's one of those words that feels like sunshine to the brain, it shakes of sluggish apathy it means an adventure...for good or bad..


Squealing girls avoiding capture 


Comments

  1. Your words are vivid & sunshine to my poetic soul. I see the game perfectly. Beautiful. Writing #31FreeWrites with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…