Skip to main content

#Rise

I haven't done this in months.  Linking up with Kate Motaung at Heading Home to write about one word for five minutes...

Rise...

Rise sounds so powerful.  Like a dramatic way to wake up, lift off, power soar upwards.  Its no wimpy word.
Maybe thats why merely pushing through difficult days laden with doubts and darkness feels nothing akin to the courage in the word Rise.
Rising sounds like pushing past bleak circumstances and fist pumping upwards to a higher place of hopeful perspective where the fray doesn't cloud your vision.
It hasn't felt like I've done much rising in the past six months, just floundering.

One frigid January evening, minutes before the winter sun burned out eclipsed by darkness I had a friend tell me courage, "Sunrises and sunsets look often times the same.  But your sun is rising, not setting."
I was looking at that bold  sunset splashed all over a January backdrop when I read those words and I smiled hopeful at that thought.   Because sometimes a new beginning does look strikingly similar to a dark ending. The same hues seem prominent and you don't quite know which is which.
Rising takes courage.  Because rising means the potential to once again fall or be knocked down.  Again.
Something I have learned over the past few months is this:  Everyone needs a few loyal people in their corner to help lift them to their feet by giving them wings of courage.  We simply can't muster that courage all the time on our own.  Our own perception is clouded by how close we are to the trees in our lives and we do lose the scope of the forrest.  We look through the magnifying glass of now and it exacerbates the discouragement we are feeling. What is going on now seems bigger than what it actually is.  We are far sighted so to speak.  The present is blurry.  We need people with some serious stock in our story, that helps us remember some previous chapters and can tell us that the next chapter, the next part of the journey is better.  People who give us vision.

Many times those people could be acquaintances, new friends, or family.
Newer friends provide some objectivity to your perspective.  They aren't as farsighted as you and aren't nearly as pessimistic as your clouded vision seems to be.  They can be fresh air, oxygen, and a chance for new love and growth.
But old friends...
Let me tell you there is nothing like an old friend that has stood sturdy with you through the thick of your life and has weathered many storms with you to provide that healthy perspective to who you were, who you are, and who you will be.  Someone who sometimes knows your heart better than you and who has dreamed your dreams with you.  Someone who will stop you sometimes and say, "Remember when you wanted to?"  "Are you sure you think you can't do that?"  "Do you really want to give up on that, because its always been important to you?"  Old friends do that.  And their words carry weight and have lift off power because you know that they really do know you.  And they aren't going to exit in the midst of a gale.  They've been tethered close by for years now.  All those shared experiences make them like a veritable map back to your roots and what really makes you.

Through this time of just plain weirdness I have to say that I have been reminded so many times of the power of a faithful friend.  Many moments when I just felt like I wouldn't rise again and be the old me, I knew of a few people with some serious stock in my life and I in theirs that wouldn't let me give up and that I just had to be with.  Right then.
It's amazing how just being with the people who have pushed through the dirt of their life and yours together towards the sun...how much it circulates courage blood back into you. It's almost like you can't choose to lay flat. You rise simply by being with them.

I cannot tell you how happy I am for the friends that God has given me that give me lift off power and fresh vision when mine is dulled.  And I with them.  I believe that is such a necessary part of friendship.  To help that person you love see what they cannot see right now.  It's part of faithfulness. Being full of faith for them.
So in the past six months of tears and questions I have to say that I have had some rich moments on playgrounds, street corners, in long hugs, and laughing over past memories and looking deep into some eyes and being willing to see whats really there and accept it.  Sometimes that sun that looks like it is setting is indeed really rising and you need someone with vision to tell you.  You nod your head simply because they believe in you with all their heart and you say, "Yes." Even if you just have the courage to say,"Yes" to today.
 I read these words recently and I think they perfectly describe what a real friend is like, "That's how you know your true friends: you hear their laughter and look into their eyes, and it feels like coming home." - Melanie Shankle

It is so true.  I have felt like coming home when walking into the arms of friends.  I always want my friends to feel like falling into a safe place when they look into my eyes too.  True friendship is necessary for a healthy vantage point on your life and it is what will give you the courage to rise again and again simply because you don't want the fire burning in the eyes of those who really love you to go out.  You rise simply because you have to honor the tenacity of their commitment to you.  It is a precious gift they've bestowed on you...their hope and you simply can't give up because that is too much of a treasure... a person that doggedly believes in you.


Some eyes that always feel like home to me.....








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…