Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays #Send

Linking up with Kate at Heading Home to write about one word for Five Minutes...
Send

I hadn't heard her voice in years.  Several.  But one day for whatever reason I decided my heart had to write her and find out.  Notes had always been a vehicle. Notes penned on college ruled paper and passed in history and spanish class.  Always scrolling pretty cursive from her and barely legible scratch from me.  Filled with nonsense, plans for the weekend, comments about cute boys, or as always from her encouraging Bible verses.

After high school finished and we said good bye for several years.  I found some of our old notes.  And I had to pull out some stationery and write again.
I remember the way I would pen something about my life in this patch of grass, labor over it for awhile, and then double check that all of the words I started out painstakingly writing so they wouldn't need to be decoded ended up needing a little interpretation. I'd sift through the scratch and retrace over letters that I thought needed clearing up a bit.  Being that my normal note starts in print and then ends in plursive.  Print and Cursive joined haphazardly.

Always it would end that I loved her still and missed her.  Wish I could hug her.

I remember when I first got a letter back.  All the way from Bama.  Hot and steamy, thunderstorm plagued Bama.  She had two girls now and she was deep in the life of ministry with her husband.
The notes were always on the same cream stationery with scalloped edges and they ended with the signature 'S' that swirled around and married the 'T' in Stacie.  Like old times.

The letters began to pile up.  Not too fast.  Because when you get a letter you savor it.  You read it slowly.  You know, someone has taken the time to actually sit down and pen, stamp, and mail box send.  You just get what they are now telling you and you mind's eye imagine the little glimpse they gave you.
Her notes still were always hopeful.  Cheerful.  Like old times.  And they always carried some humor, so that I could almost still hear that laugh I hadn't heard in years.  I could picture those big green eyes sparkling as I read the letters.

I miss that.  We carried on that easy kind of correspondence for quite a while.  No phone calls or texts, just old school.
It was sweet.

Like the term of endearment we called each other in middle school, Baklava...it was sweet. Always a sweet spot in my week to receive a personal letter of snail mail from a dear old friend.
A friend that no longer ate baklavas since nothing that decadent ever passes through her nothing but healthy mouth...but still is soul sweet in every way.

I need to pull out my stationery again and mailbox send some more thoughts even if now it will be across an ocean.  It's special.  It's sweet.  Almost as sweet as a dozen layers of phyllo with honey and cinnamon, cloves dripping down.



Have a beautiful Friday.

Comments

  1. Love, friendship that never grows stale...is always sweet...Your post is beautiful..visiting from 5 Minute Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your beautiful imagery had me holding the cream stationary, seeing the plursive, and tasting the sweet phyllo. What a great post from a great writer... thank you for sharing your story and your gift here. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…