Skip to main content

Offer Joy, 31 Days to Full

It’s already the 8th day of October and I’m 8 days deep in my 31 days of offering joy for the gifts in my life.  The ones noticed and unnoticed.  That I might realize how full my life already is. 
 
It’s also Wednesday that means I am linking up with Coffee for Your Heart at Holley Gerth’s encouraging site.


We listen to songs through out our days.  It always amazes me how a child instantly smiles bigger and sings louder when the music belts out of little kid voices.  Those songs that sometimes drive me and any other adult crazy speak the language kids need and want.  Things can be going south fast in our car or our day, but fish out the kids praise songs or simply the silly educational songs and tears dry and frowns smooth. 
As a part of our girls’ education we are listening to new songs.  Songs about important historical events, math songs, and English grammar rules. 
This concept works and translates facts into jingles you cannot irradiate from your brain. 
I’ve heard my husband singing world geography while shaving just because he’s heard it often enough and once the jingle is in the song will leak out of you at any opportune time. 
I find myself singing the songs too and enjoying them with the girls. 
The upbeat and silly sounds stick; however, there are a few songs mixed in the collection that don’t quite make such a pleasant impression.

Last year as we would sing through our history facts, two songs evoked cries and covered ears from my four year old.  Instantly.
The words weren’t scary, but the tune was.  It was deep, foreboding, ominous, and bleak.  The words were simply about explorers of long ago, but the collection of notes that comprised the tune spoke volumes to my four year old. 
“Madelyn,” I would say, “The song is not scary. It just sounds scary.”  She never bought my explanation.  She just continued to stuff her hands over her ears and cry for the song to be turned off.  Immediately.
My oldest girl would grow impatient trying to coax her into being okay with the song; however, we finally gave up and always skipped these particular songs.  It was not worth the howling that ensued.
My husband is knows music theory and can sing beautifully. He quickly identified the root of the problem for Madelyn one day as he observed the routine of dashing to turn a ‘scary’ song before Madelyn dissolved into tears.
“The song is in the minor key. That’s why she doesn’t like it.”  He said matter of fact. 
Oh minor key. Hmm. That made sense.  I had heard of a minor key. 
And it is true.  No matter the message when brought to Madelyn in the vehicle of minor key, the song is not received well. 

This week has been hard.  It’s been an emotional roller coaster for several families within our church.  There have been three deaths within a week’s time.  There are lots of phone calls of sad news, good-bye’s said, cheeks stained with tears, funerals to preach and viewings to attend.  Hearts throbbing pain and people trying to cope with death unexpected.  Uninvited.
Death seems to come in gale force sometimes.  It blows in with force just to let us know that it is real and will come for us all.  It leaves no life, no family untouched. 
My husband is a youth minister and I hear his phone calls.  I see the sad on his face, the slump of his shoulders, the funeral notes on his screen, and it is definitely life in the minor key. 
We all have seasons of life where we find the melody anything but appealing.  Rather we want to be like my Madelyn and howl to “Turn it off!” 
Nothing will assuage us that it is good.  It just seems altogether awful. 

When I hear the words Minor Key my mind calls up a beautiful song at the end of a Matt Redman cd.  The song is filled with Heaven hope.  All the joys that will await us, all the better that our hearts are longing for. 
The song is Endless Halleluiah
The whole song spills beauty and I love to hear it and let its hope settle into all the dark crevices of death, doubt, and disappointment that scrape our hearts raw. 

“When I stand before Your throne
Dressed in glory not my own
What a joy I'll sing of on that day
No more tears or broken dreams
Forgotten is the minor key
Everything as it was meant to be” – Matt Redman, Endless Hallelujah
Endless Hallelujah (check out the whole song - its beautiful) 

Forgotten is minor key.  Those words have always stood out to me when I hear the song.  I know why now.  For the same reason my Madelyn wants the songs turned off.  This life is filled with the minor key.  The hard to take in, the hard to breathe through, the so hard to accept. 

Today I’m offering joy for the hope of Heaven.  The hope of one day when all the keys play major and the minor only makes the glory brighter. 

The composition has already been arranged.  The symphony’s beautiful new beginning is promised in Revelation 21, “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.  I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of Heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look!  God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and He will dwell with them.  They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’ “


If you want hope you cannot find anything to top this passage.  An intimate God that will eternally dwell in relationship with His people.  All tears dried up, all mourning gone, eclipsed by the joy of Him, forever. 
It's the only truth that takes the minor keys of death, dark, and doubt and transfixes them into the Hope of Glory.  
Madelyn who is so done with the Minor Key :)
She's the same girl who told me, "Heaven is the most real place, mom." 



Comments

  1. Somer,
    It's hard to look for hope in the midst of a difficult week, just as you shared. But how beautifully you point out that God can redeem the minor keys of dark and doubt, as only he can do! And your Madelyn one day may grow up to love the depth of music in a minor key -- because sometimes that's how God stirs our passions, with things that made us afraid so he can help us overcome that fear. I love Matt Redman's music too - - it speaks powerfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the hope of heaven and no more 'minor keys'. I'll be happy to just be able to carry a tune :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…