Skip to main content

Offer Joy: 31 Days to Full


It's Day 5 of the 31 day October challenge....
Here it goes....


It's been a lovely day. In so many ways.  Wonderful time at church.  Old friend by my side as we twisted down curvy roads ribboning through autumn kissed leaves.  Brilliantly crisp blue sky.  Lunch by the lake.  Sun glittering water diamonds on the azure lake.  It was beautiful.  One of these fall days that you simply cannot miss out on.  You cannot spend the time indoors.
The perfect Sunday.
We left a cathedral of praise within walls and walked slow through an early autumn cathedral of birch trees and wild vines starting to drip scarlet.

We decided to walk through a historical park in our area.  We got lost in the bright green meadows, old out buildings, the stories of the place, the livestock and the crunchy woodsy scented forest.
It was a mini escape and we all were walking slowly and taking it all in.
forest treasures 


I watched my oldest girl tiptoeing through the late afternoon speckled sunshine as it tried to shine a path in the shaded woods.  She was brimming with adventure.  My friend who was blessing me by pushing the baby stroller remarked, "I just love her wild imagination."
"Me too", my head nodded in agreement.  Me too.
She hid from us behind gnarled peeling bark and tried to scare us.  Catch us by surprise.
My middle girl found a walking stick and marched through the forest path with all her wild confidence.
It was a lovely day.  And I could not help but offer joy for two hours of seventy degree, not a cloud in the sky, pristine weather.  We marveled over leaves littering swirls over slow moving creeks.  We listened to all the noises filling the peaceful woods.
I thought something I've thought so many times.
God who sees all at all times sees this right now.
This spot of beauty we are getting to peer into and be a part of for a brief afternoon, He always sees.  At all times.
Just as His eyes behold all of the beauty of all this wild and varied world at all times simultaneously.  
Beauty isn't wasted on Him, He delights in all His hands have made. 

I love how Job 39 describes the all seeing eyes of God.  The fact that God sees what we don't see.  He sees what no human eyes ever see. The things happening throughout nature that only the all encompassing eyes of the Creator witnesses.  How awesome.

And today, for these beautifully relaxed handful of moments we got to experience sacred awe over all the natural intricacies His awesome hands had crafted here on this one patch of God's green earth.

We got lost in deep conversations deep within the woods as we looked over everything that we glanced at the clock and realized the park was closed and we were straggling behind.  Getting little girl legs to run and speedily push a stroller was a sight to see.  We clambered down the paths trying to get back.  We were slightly winded when we emerged at the parking lot.

I told my friend enjoying the day beside me, "Have you ever noticed the way trees point up? It's like they are pointing us to Heaven."
She smiled.
I love to look up in a forest to the top of the trees highlighted by the amber sun and tinged in golden glory.  They always draw your eye up.  Up not just to them, up to the brilliant endless sky.
All of this beauty pointing to the Beautiful, the Beautiful Him who watches it all the time.




This one made some deep observations this afternoon. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…