Skip to main content

Offer Joy : 31 Days to Full, Five Minute Fridays #New

Its day 3 of October sunshine soaked and golden streaked and my ankles feel nice and cool wearing the last of my shorts.
Its day 3 in my challenge to write something I'm full of thanks for in the month of October, something I'm offering joy for.



On Friday's I'm still following the word prompts from Kate at heading home http://katemotaung.com.
This one is NEW...

New jeans and how I smile bigger even though no one knows
New car and how the smell lingers (i haven't smelled that in quite a while)
New baby eyes where sclera is still washed in white so fresh it's almost blue
New love and the way our hearts have sizzled
New house (even if it is quite old) and how i've filled it or planned to at least...
New seasons and how we find wonder all over again even though for years now we've went through the cycle

This month of me finding the joy in my life always requires me looking anew at something that has been facing me for a long time. Something that I pass by or take for granted that is old or somewhat of the past, but when looked at through new eyes I marvel at all over again.
Like finding that which was lost simply because it's wonder has now been lost on me.

Yesterday I did something I do a lot.  It's a quirk.  I like to sit in different spaces.  I know thats a strange admission.  I'm usually sitting on the floor indian style. Because I like that vantage point. Makes me feel like a student again.  I really prefer that.
Yesterday I had been trying to find some of the markers the girls had been drawing with and had somehow been lost in the cavernous space of our tiny living room.
I gave up and threw out the tops.
Four thirty rolled in and the babe was sleeping.  My other girls were finishing their math work and I spied a puddle of sunshine filling the small area right in front of my open front door.
I decided to go sit in it awhile  and let my back lean against the screened door and soak in the new October sun.
I enjoyed the quiet for two minutes and then I spied them.  This new way of sitting and looking and I had already spotted the missing markers.  They had been wedged in quite an unlikely place by some little kid hands.
I smiled and I thought instantly of the word perspective.  I had already surrendered their plastic tops to the garbage and considered them a lost cause but there they were peeking out of a tight space between a chest and the wall tucked their by what I'm sure was baby hands.
It was just a couple of markers, no big loss.  But the word perspective made me see things differently.
I wondered how much of my life would look different to me if I assumed a different seat and vantage point.
If I saw something old anew, transforming it once again in something to take joy in.
Today I'm offering joy for all the people in my life and experiences that have made me see my corner (literally yesterday) of the world fresh and new.

It made me think of the Gospel and how it is the greatest new perspective I'll ever see life with. Nothing else magnifies the good or redeems the old forever like the Gospel can...
Nothing else can empower us to forgive and then make us new for giving this new perspective to someone else.


Happy Friday

Comments

  1. Summer, I am so challenged by this post to go and read the gospels from a new perspective. Something like the Message or King James. I loved this idea of finding things that were easily spotted by my moving to a new spot.
    Stopping by from FMF.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…