Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays - Ready

Five Minute Fridays
Ready


Feet scamper excitement across the carpet as four legs  young and two legs not –so-young rush to find a place to hide.  I watch as my mom squeezes into tight places with my girls.  I can hear their breath and almost feel the little kid thrill they feel as they wait for grand-dad to find them.  After grand dad has counted he always calls out into the quiet, “Are you ready?”
Two little girls and one grandma echo, “Hoo- hoo” like three owls hiding  in a night time tree top. 
The game has begun.  If grand dad doesn’t find them quickly another, little girl voice trills out, “Hoo-hoo”.  It’s the sound trail the seeker can follow. 
He always finds them.  And every time they squeal joy when they are found. 
It’s time for another round.  In fact just tonight as we made our weekly visit to their house, my four year old informed me that fifty two rounds would be played. (Not quite). 
“Are you ready?” It’s that question that we call out to our kids weekly, daily, hourly…
“Are you ready for dinner? Are you ready for bed?  Are you ready for school?”
It’s like the signal we give that we are ready and they better be soon.

It’s funny that being a mother has shown me how much I’m not ready. 
There was so much I did not know before these three little girls came into my life.
 I find myself laughing now when I see new parents talk about being “ready” and having a nursery set up and every baby contraption known to man and still not have a clue about being baby ready.  I know because I was not ready myself. 

I know now that God still wraps skin around His grace gifts called babies and hands them to people that are not ready….yet.  He lets their baby soft skin stretch out over growing bones and swelling hearts every day making us more ready than the day before, with hearts that bloom more love for them.  And even still we are not completely ready yet for anything more than the day we share with them today.  Now.  
I'm not ready for ten year olds and middle school yet, I'm just ready for the day I'm in. The today, with a snaggle toothed six year old and a button nosed four year old, and one baby,
almost two whose brown eyes melt me always.  I'm ready for life interrupted by them.

Lastly, when I think of ready, I think of my kids singing "Are you ready?" to my heart as they seek to capture all of it, every last piece that hides away and sometimes doesn't want to be bothered, today.  Kids have a way of pulling every secret out, every selfish crevice.
I think of my God whispering, "Are you ready?" too. A Lover too kind to demand, but who gently poses the question still.

Comments

  1. Perfectly said. You can only be ready for now. There is no way to be ready for later as a mama because there is always something new around the corner. So thankful God is gracious enough to bless our lives with little ones to hold for a while. Blessings to you and enjoy every second!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am so glad that the right now is all we have to "get" to take hold of, its funny that always thinking about and planning or later robs us of this all important time

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful word picture you paint! And what wise words--just be ready for today--to spend time with them and hold them and snuggle with them (before you know it, they'll be six inches taller than you and in college ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, i always think about that when I scoop up my six year old and her legs are dangling heavy and long, not a baby any more!

      Delete
  3. I'm just ready for the day I'm in! What a beautiful way to live life - right there with ya, treasuring the moments. And how true are your words "being a mother has shown me how much I'm not ready" Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you built up the whole write-up. Very well written, kept me engaged right through the end.

    Your daughters are adorable.

    Friend from FMF,

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, thank you for stopping by and for your encouraging words

      Delete
  5. Just ready for the day I'm in...I love it! So glad you stopped by my site so I came back to find you. What a beautiful, honest, joyful post. So glad your parents still play hide and seek with your little ones. Such fun...and they are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like this: "God still wraps skin around His grace gifts called babies and hands them to people that are not ready….yet." I agree that none of us can be ready for a baby, especially a first child. I also agree that we need to look at just today. When my son was small, I remember trying to project what his future would hold. Of course I had no idea, and just the thought was overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i try to do that sometimes too Melissa and I am overwhelmed. so glad I can't know right now, just catch little glimmers here and there

      Delete
  7. Precious little ones!

    This grandma is resonating with your post ... and still in recovery after a very busy weekend with two pre-schoolers keeping her on her toes!

    Have an energetic, lovely week, Summer!

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda, sounds like you had a blast with your grand kids

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…