Skip to main content

Whispers

Five Minute Friday Whisper

It's Friday.  We've made it!  Another week of work, school, and play is now almost gone....And this took me longer than five minutes.  The word kind of ran a way with me.
http://katemotaung.com

The word is whisper....

He had his crisp brilliantly white tuxedo jacket off, draped over a deck chair.  The blue silk of his vest a perfect contrast to the deep brown of his eyes.  I was wrapped in his arms as we made trails in his parents deck and danced with a canopy of ink and stars winking down at our young love.
It had been the night of my junior senior banquet.  My now husband had hatched a plan to give me a real dance.  Our school did not dance.
So after the banquet was over we went to his parents house for a dance that I will always remember.
I remember how he led me around the deck, excited like a young boy and my eyes blinked big as I heard the music playing full of oh so cheesy love songs and the rails wrapped in Christmas lights.
He extended me his hand and we danced.  Back there in the quiet of a country night.
I know I felt like a princess.  I was eighteen and glittering a million sequins and a somewhat crazy up do, but I don't think the smile of that night left my face.

As cheesy as that moments sounds it held within it a very precious moment.
A whisper moment.
As the songs wound down and we danced slowly, I remember him leaning into my hair and whispering bashfully but surely, "Somer Griffin, I love you."
That was the prize of the night.  In a year he had never told me and I had dreamed how he might one day tell me.  Those hushed words barely said sank down deep in my heart.  The perfect signature to a beautiful night.  The quiet ended abruptly as his brother threw a fire cracker out of the back window and we both jumped.  Reeling us back into reality.

When I think about the word whisper I think that whispers hold within their hushed syllables most often the most powerful.
Whispering secrets, truths, and love messages usually occurs in-between those who share intimacy.  Hearts that beat trust for one another.

Whispering means you must bend down, lean in close or you will miss the message.  Miss the heart of the whisperer.

I've seen my dad pray all my life barely above the noise in whisper prayers to God.  I always remember him like this. When I see his lips move as he drives or sits somewhere I know what He is doing.  Praying love, praying protection over someone.

I've leaned close to the body of a dying woman and heard her whisper a blessing over my life.  I was never the same and I remember that whisper always.
I've had my heart melt beneath the weight of love when my almost two year old whispers to me at night, "God loves you, mommy." That whisper I know God breathed to me from her heart shaped lips.
My back always tickles when someone leans in to whisper.  Its like a spark that runs from my back all the way up to the nape of my neck.  I'm excited to be on the receiving end.  My girls whisper too loudly the secrets they want no one to know and i lean in to find out and smile at what they deem worthy of a whisper.

God whispers. He speaks often most loudly in hushed tones.  He spoke to Elijah that way.  He was found only on that day in the quiet voice.  I love this story in 1 Kings 19,

Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave.

Sometimes in the whisper the most powerful message is hidden.  


God whispers to me every day and last night I caught it barely.  Hot pink and I do mean brilliantly hot pink streaked across the periwinkle sky.  Sky fire. The girls ran to tell me and we had to go outside and catch a glimpse of the sky whispering the bold beauty of God.  Right here on our patch of earth.  For us.  And anyone around us who would gaze at the sky speech and thank God for the day's art.

Psalm 19 says it like this,

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.

Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.

Whispers.  They are right around us.  But we never hear them submerged in crazy chaos all the time.  Too rushed, too loud. Too busy.
It is in the same way that I have learned about God most.  In the quiet spent reading about Him and whispering prayers.   Praying quietly with others or just simply sitting in the warm sunshine and thanking Him for the sunshine of His love.

I think thats why when I think of the most powerful words I've ever heard they are most always things barely audible, whispers.  One has to listen to hear them, be available, and be intimate.
Whispers often speak the loudest.
They aren't for show and they aren't obnoxious.  They are love laced in quiet, meant to be treasured.

Who has whispered life into you?

Young Love




Comments

  1. The bit about your baby whispering God loves you made my heart skip, my eyes tear because it was really Him. How wonderful. How marvelous is His love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Thank you for sharing such precious stories. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful time your now-husband created for you! Thanks for sharing the rest of your stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful stories! My favorite would be the one you started off with. I could not help but imagine the excitement and thrill you two must have felt :) Oh! but the firecracker!! ;-\

    BTW, you two make an adorable couple!

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…