Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday Hold

It's time for five minutes of writing with Kate at http://katemotaung.com. The word is Hold.

Holding.  I do a lot of that these days.  I've been doing that for six years now.  Seven Septembers ago I remember standing stock still, thunderstruck feeling the first utero kick.  I guess I had somehow never acknowledged the flutters.  My initiation was a hardy kick and I can still remember where I was standing at my old job when I first felt it. The way my face beamed amazement as I walked back up to my wing at the nursing home I worked at.  My utter shock that a living being was somersaulting inside me.  Its an amazing feeling.  One that makes me so glad I am a woman.

For all those nine months and two pregnancies after that my skin has stretched out and safely held three babies.  Despite the fact that my outer appearance is less beautiful, I have seen it multiply from me as I have held literal life beauty within me.  I'm a different beautiful, because I've been full of beauty, from within.

I remember the first moment despite my copious amounts of anesthesia post c section holding my first baby.  I remember the way my tears blurred the edges and everyone seemed to fade in the background as I nestled my new baby and sang to her (yes, anesthesia makes me do some strange things).  I remember the way her tiny ears peaked out of the baby pink and blue cap and I marveled.

I've been holding all along ...
Holding through out colicky nights, holding blonde hair back for upset stomaches and trips to the bathroom, holding babies in the bathroom with thick steam fogging comfort back into coughing throats, holding hands to cross sidewalks, holding dangling legs as they navigate monkey bars, close holding when the tears flow...And even the joys and labors of holding through all those nursing sessions
That's something I would never trade about being a mother.  All of those up close and personal moments that fill my arms with my girls and my heart with love.  I believe that holding them close speaks volumes and ends up holding their hearts.

It's interesting that the umbilical cord that linked my babies with me together transforms into heart strings that can't come untied, they just continue to unravel and lengthen as their journey leads them farther out into God's beautiful world.  I can always hold their heart, even when I can no longer hold them close.
Sometimes those who we spend our lives holding end up holding us. I remember early this year when the winter still iced down the earth.  I was driving in a moon drunk night, moon shine light all over the countryside. I remember after the ride my middle four year old telling me about the moon.  "God was holding the moon." She said plain as day.  As if it was not a fact to be disputed.  "Well how did you know?" I asked back into her child's heart.  She mimicked what she saw and then told me there were scars on the Hands that cradled the moon glow. I smiled big at her faith.  I don't doubt that she saw it. Sometimes the ones we hold end up holding us, physically as they wrap their growing arms around us and assure us that once in a while they like being our kids or even spiritually when their faith holds up ours in ways we would not have expected.



Lastly I am thankful for a God that never forsakes us or casts His children off and away.  Who says that even if our mother or father would forsake us, He will never.  Even if the ones that are supposed to hold us, nurture us, care deeply for us ...even if they don't, He will always.  We will always be held.

Comments

  1. My eyes watered up reading your post. My first born is in college this year and it seems like the moments you mentioned were just yesterday. Thank you for memories you just stirred up. They pass so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, thanks for your perspective. it is so hard to think about the quickly passing present that leaves you with memories. I know thats a hard season to be in.

      Delete
  2. such sweet memories... i'm learning to treasure the times when my biggers will let me hold them these days... and still loving those snuggles from the baby who isn't such a baby any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!! I am sure Moms from around the world can relate to this.
    A good read for me!

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tanya for leaving me encouraging words :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…