Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays Change

It's Time for Five Minute Fridays and the word is CHANGE
http://katemotaung.com

Change...

Its happening all around us as August walks her way into September to the rhythm of school buses and the winds of cooler weather.
I have to admit that I never rejoice over the end of summer.  I love Autumn.  It's my favorite. However, summer is that season that is soaked in childhood. So for some reason saying good bye to summer for another year makes me feel old. I know its weird. It just seems like I've lost something.  Something precious has slipped yet again through the hands of time and everything I wanted to enjoy in summer is gone. I remember that feeling when I was little and now that I am a mom it happens again every Autumn.  All the things I would've liked to get done before summer ended.
Seasons change like that.  Subtly. Almost nonchalantly, melting from one into the other.
Babies do too.
I always love the second year of a baby's life.  The year they are one.  It seems like so many changes so rapidly take place.  You are cheering on each step and marveling at each word that stumbles its way out of their baby mouths.  You rejoice as halting words become simple sentences.
You smile joy as the hair you hold turns into wispy tendrils as that two year birthday sneaks its way closer.
You laugh at all the ways they can now try to make you laugh and succeed.  You gape wide mouthed at the tantrums they can now throw.  All the ways they can now copy you and everyone else.
Our third girl is closing in on year two.  Only two months left.  And like the seasons that have flipped faithfully by bringing different experiences and reminding us of old ones, so has this baby girl.  She's blossomed from being a hip attachment to establishing a little more independence.  She's now calling people names and saying "I wuv you." Baby love spilling out from chocolate eyes.  We see new in her.  Faces we haven't seen before and new personality traits and we see old ones.  We see her mirror the babies her sisters once were.
Here's a funny one.  I never would have imagined that i would be referred to as , "Momcicle".  But alas that is one of my aliases given to me by my baby.  Mom's can answer to a whole host of titles.

Change happens under our noses all the time.  It can be sudden, but most of the time it is so gentle we barely know its happened until one day we step back and take stock of all this newness we didn't realize surrounded us now.  We see really how far we have now come.

Tonight as I got baby girl to go to sleep she initiated what I've hush whispered deep into her baby ears for a year now, "God loves you." She said it first tonight and thrust that pointer finger into the air.  Of course she still can't say her name, Moriah.  But she thumps her pajama belly firmly and says, "You."
There's nothing that can make me smile so big as to hear her chant that over her little heart before she kisses the world good night.
My how things have changed.

We all take part in change with all our little choices.  All those tiny whispers of God love into ears and now she says it confidently before closing her eyes.  I am so glad those are the last baby words she says every night.  I hope they thread their way down and take root into her heart.

That brings me to the most important change.  Gospel Change.  We are going through JD. Greear's study Gospel Revolution.  Its been wonderful.  Truly it has.
One idea from that study that I can't forget and that I rejoice over is that God wants to do something great deep inside you, before He wants to do something amazing through you.  I think we rush that.  We skip to the doing before we let the truth of God's amazing love reach down into the core of who we are and rest there.  Before we let that wildly astounding truth transform us.  It's the only thing that can.  It's the only way to really change. From the inside.
Paul prays for this knowledge that changes for believers,

That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:15-18) 

So these last days of sweet summer I want to think about that love, the love of Jesus and let it change me from the inside out even as all these days drift cooler, and the leaves turn orange fire.  Even as I place that cake topped with two candles and help my baby girl celebrate two.  


Happy Friday !

Comments

  1. Simply beautiful.
    Thank you and blessings to you.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. Thanks for taking the time to stop by! Have a beautiful Friday!

      Delete
  2. loved thinking about the fact that change can happen abruptly, but also subtly... so that sometimes you even wonder if it has occurred at all!

    great words, beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richelle, i've noticed that change most often does seem to happen most of the times gently, and honestly I'm glad about that! and sometimes scared about that ( like the times you step on the scale and realize that change has occurred ever so daily, haha) thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. What a joy it is to see our children grow and change. I'm reliving that joy now with my grandchildren! Lovely post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bet its a whole new dimension and sped up even more the second time around. Thanks Holly!

      Delete
  4. Love your writing, Somer! Especially the sweet story about putting your little girl to bed. What a precious thing to have whispered in her ear every night! And thanks so much for the reminder from JD Greear about being changed *within* first. Glad I stopped by today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtney. Don't we love talking about our children? I love hearing your thoughts to yours. And that study is a great one. I'm really enjoying it and all its simplicity

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tiffany. Thank you for taking the time. Enjoy your Friday

      Delete
  6. I am a fall/winter girl myself but there is something sad about saying goodbye to this summer.

    Thanks for sharing! And thanks for taking the time to stop by and read my FMF post, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…