Skip to main content

Begin

Its a  puddles and rain dripping melodiously down the gutter kind of morning here and its Friday, the crescendo of the week...
And I'll begin this new day with this last word prompt from Lisa Jo Baker's blog - Begin....
http://lisajobaker.com

Begin.

She's always ready for beginnings, really more than anyone I know or have ever known. Except maybe me when I was her same age and looked at the world from that vantage point.
She's six and in the thick of childhood, but with a ticking clock that watches the sky for signals of the hours that have raced by.  Shadows like the hand of the clock.  Inside she runs into the kitchen and reads the neon stove clock heralding to me, "Its five, three, three." She announces urgently and I interpret, "Meredith, its five thirty-three."
She asks, "Is it almost night?"
I smile in the still several hours of mid summer glow, "No honey theres quite a while before nighttime."

Not that night time slows Meredith down either.  I think the first weeks with Meredith were premonitions of sleep that was never to come for me.  I remember the first time I zombie like rocked her all over the house and watched infomercials with bleary eyes just thinking of when sleep might come to claim me.
She's never been much of a sleeper and its a good thing I suppose (even thought my eyes would disagree) that I'm not much of one either.
At the age of two naps were a thing of the past and I can honestly say she has the sun shiny mood to not need one, I lamented it.  I had so enjoyed holding her during those once a day naps, but just as the wrapping paper of her two year old birthday presents got bagged, so did naps.
One crazy weekend shortly after turning four i had had it.  We unexpectedly had a group of teenage girls come to our house for the weekend and while the teenagers were out at youth retreat I told Meredith and her then two year old sissy, Madelyn, "Girls, you are taking a nap today".  In my mind I was thinking that I would definitely be a part of the nap equation.  I was firm about it and it was a day like today down and drizzly, where the sky provides built in black out curtains and you have no inner compass to tell you exactly what hour you are in...just plain ole dark gray....great nap weather.
Two hours later I remember waking up from this strange and foreign -to- me nap.
Meredith was up fast too and ran to the window, She peeled back the blinds and shoved her blue-green eyes in-between mournfully announcing to me, "Mama your nap made the day go away." 
That face made me almost cry.  Talk about mom guilt, my buttons had been pressed.  Just to see the sorrow on her little face, that somehow I had chased the sweet hours of the day let me catch a glimpse of just how important it was to her.
Now she is six, and i can honestly tell you I don't know if Meredith has ever taken another nap.  Unless going to sleep once or twice a year in a car counts. (of which she doesn't want to admit, but i have the pictures to prove).
She can stay up with the best of them and deep into the dark corners of the night and remain happy.  For a while I thought to myself, "I guess I know what teenagers are like."  Different drama of course, but lots of late nights.
Something that will always stay with me and that I try to treasure up in my heart are the amount of times she notices that the day is slipping away. She frequently looks to the sky and says, "Night time is almost here." or she will offer brightly, "Its not night time yet."
Last night we spent an afternoon with her grandma. It had been awhile.  Meredith hit the ground running as soon as she got there and when I came in the back yard she was sprawled out in a kids' wagon making her baby sister pull her 'carriage' around the grass as she pretended to be a princess.  She played multiple board games and painted her legs with coffee colored flecks as she kept running atop mulch mountains and yelling commands to the world.  Periwinkle clouds glazed the sky
eight -thirty and I could tell her poor grandma was about to run out of steam herself. The fireflies had already turned on their night lights.
"Girls, " I gathered up their things and tried fast to shuffle them to the car and relieve my mom of all her six and four year old hours of play. "Its time to go."
After rounding them up amid protests and securing them in I shut the doors and sped off into twilight.
Later as we all got home and sat outside on our front steps talking, Meredith informed me, "Its not night yet, mom." 
Sure enough I looked up at the sky and there it was, a band of orange amber still tinged the horizon line.
Sure enough, Meredith.
I smiled a big smile knowing that this observation brought her oh-so- much joy.
Theres something I love about that spirit, that spirit that is always rejoicing with the beginning of a day and never trying to hurry it along.  That spirit that is always trying to suck the marrow and fat out of every last second and every last ray of sunset before calling it done.
Its funny because Meredith is the hardest to get to go to bed, to surrender the day, to end; however, she is the first to be asleep... because her mind and body are finally still it happens almost immediately.
Her body just knows its got to catch up, because just as the sun winks pink over the horizon we better all gear up and be ready to begin again...
begin celebrating all the moments of this seemingly ordinary day with Meredith...
If God was looking for someone to appreciate, really dance in the joy of what a day brings, He's created it in Meredith. I think He smiles too over such enthusiasm and enjoys waking her up to watch it begin again.
Meredith, its about 8 o clock in this picture and no signs of slowing down! 




Comments

  1. the girl loves life, doesn't she ... you might get tired out, but she'll keep pouring her energy right back into you.

    sweet, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does Linda, and you are right...at the moment she told me that "Its not night yet" I smiled in spite of myself who was ready to call it a day :) her enthusiasm dripped down into me again

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! This is so gorgeous. What a story- and what a girl! Wow. I love how you told the story of the napless days and her ever looking to the sky and the clock to declare that it's not nighttime yet.
    Love how you said this:"That spirit that is always trying to suck the marrow and fat out of every last second and every last ray of sunset before calling it done."
    So beautifully written- and paints such a picture of your precious joy-filled girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andee...you have so much to look forward to and I hope your little one does give you a little rest now and then :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…