Skip to main content

BurdenBearing - Coffee for Your heart



Coffee for Your Heart/ Words of Life Wednesdays



I spilled it out, finally to someone.  The inner turmoil.  The tossing thoughts. I finally breathed out what has cartwheeled through my mind and quietly taken me through mental gymnastics. 
I said it because I finally feel safe to say it.  To form letters and words that unlock the keys to let the thoughts out and see what her wisdom will reply back.
It is hard to finally confess a fear, struggle, uncertainty, life that isn’t being lived out according to plans, or just plain old hard questions to someone.  When they all seem as if they shouldn’t be a part of you. 
My friend listened quietly and echoed back my feelings.  She understood.  Really she did and was still okay with me and managed to say that it made sense.  That I wasn’t crazy. 
She committed to pray and when she commits to pray she does.
You always hear it said, “There’s power in prayer.” 
If you frequent church its like a jingle that settles into your brain sometimes that you often really rarely see in reality.  You know it to be true, but sometimes it gets lost in the repetition and in the myriad of “I’ll pray for you.  You are in our prayers. “ Those statements that we all make and then don’t follow through with.  Not intentionally but just happens by way of never ending prayer lists and our never ending to-do lists.
This time though it was different. I knew that my sweet friend was talking to My Father for my sake and I felt the windows in that life room creak open and God breathed wind start to breeze through that part of my Heart space.  I started seeing New Life in just a weeks’ time.  Something was happening and I knew that something were her prayers for me.  Areas that seemed hot and stifling and so different than what I wanted to be my reality were being refreshed, repurposed, renewed…all in just eight or nine days. 
She called me late one night this week.  I snuck off to a basement hide-away tucked my feet up into the sofa and laughed with her and then I thanked her, “I know you have been praying for me.  Things are already different.  Something has changed. I know you prayed.”
She confirmed simply what all of me already knew, “I have been.” 
I wonder how many times we miss out on being the part of the solution for someone else all because we don’t take time to bear someone else’s burdens. Isn’t it interesting that God wants us in on other people’s pain?  That He says that it is a part of God’s law?  We often don’t acquiesce and pick up the burden because burdens aren’t fun to bear, they require an investment, and also because we try to pick too many people’s burdens up. 
 You can’t bear everyone’s burdens.  God puts people within your personal court, your sphere to help make it across the finish line of life.  There are people running right beside you, on your track and its up to you to help them win their race.  You’re running near each other for a reason.  So rather than over arching prayers for Miss Elsa’s gall bladder and someone’s neighbor’s uncle perhaps you and I should invest in some quiet moments of supplication for someone your world is closely entwined and enmeshed with.  God puts us with family and friends and neighbors for a reason.
This year I’ve had four names tucked into my mind and on my heart.  Two are brothers of friends.  One is a husband of a friend and one is my personal family member.  Four people that I’ve been led to remember every week and honestly sometimes it seems old, like something I’d like to shake off…but I can’t.  I know those are my burdens to bear and believe with all my heart that My Father God has me bearing them, praying for release and freedom all for a reason.  One that I don’t know now, but one that I will not let go of. 
Whose burdens are you to help bear?  Whose race are you to closely, intimately invest in that they might win the race of life?  Whose cup are you supposed to fill weekly with your words of life that might refresh them for the next lap around the track? 
"Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. "
{Galatians 6:2}
 It’s definitely a command and not a friendship suggestion that Paul pens.  He knew it to be crucial because He was in the thick of persecution and needed people in His court that were cheering Him on and helping Him bear the burden God had placed on His back. 
I wrote thoughts on this verse last week and I come again to it, 2 Corinthians 4:17
"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." 
These light afflictions and momentary troubles that we are called to help share with others, they are working for and preparing for us an eternal weight of Glory….a Glory that we get to share not in isolation, but in Eternal fellowship. 

I’m so thankful for my friends, my crew, those handful of people in my life willing to help me through.  I know I wouldn’t be me without them.  And what is even more amazing is that God selected certain people to share my life with...to bear my burdens and for me to take on their life packs and walk alongside their journey...our together journey that finish lines with Him.  



Comments

  1. You are right, there is no greater gift than prayer! Stopping by from Holley's place! It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What truth! I have been thinking about the importance of bearing with one another. We miss out on so much when we stay within ourselves and not allow ourselves to feel each other's pain. Visiting from Words of Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…