Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays - Messenger

Messenger

Its Five Minute Fridays with Lisa Jo and the word is Messenger –


I’ve had this note jotted down in my journal for a while…and its all about messages…heart messages…so I think it fits the word…

A few weeks ago I wore fatigue like a sleepy necklace…all the short nights stringing together to leave me dangling…the dark beads matching the smudges under my eyes…agreeing with what I knew and what someone recently observed, “You look tired.”

I felt spent in more ways than one…physically…emotionally… and then it came…when I needed it…His message of encouragement…
I was pouring water over sudsy heads draining out the lavender bubbles of twilight bath time and I heard my phone announce a message.

After I read it, I smiled… God always knows when I really need to hear His words of concern.  My friend was the messenger.  She hadn’t known of course but God knew and put me in her mind and I read the short words of love and care and they ran over my heart warm and clean like the water running through my hands….

I really believe God uses you and me and all of us to be His messengers…His message, the Bible tells us this….to be His love messengers to the world…even the world just next door, in the grocery line, or in an actual letter you get in the mail…
Paul writes that it’s true…
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God was making His appeal through us…(2 Corinthians 5:20)

Sometimes we don’t recognize the messages…sometimes we don’t even notice them…the way the sky speaks Him, the way a daddy’s arms mimic His, the way a mother’s cheering reminds us of His approval…the way a friend’s love or a stranger’s gifts are really all the ways He says “I love you” every day…in every way…

I had two unexpected messengers two weeks ago… on the same day…just a few days after the sweet text message my friend sent me…
I had a very elderly man who methodically walks by every day say to me, “You know you’re beautiful.” He smiled at me and I think I said, “I really don’t feel like that, but thank you.” Somewhat embarrassed.
I turned my face blue skyward and I smiled, “Thanks God.”
A few hours later, I was at the park twisted pretzel like with a one year old trying awkwardly to go through a school bus yellow slide…my feet dirt rimmed in flip flops and mulch stains on my pants…I was chasing a daring toddler across a wooden bridge and laughing at my attempts and looking forward to the end of the park day…and an eight year old with big green eyes and freckle splatters all over her tanned cheeks smiled at me and said, “You sure are a pretty lady.”…. I almost looked over my shoulder…me in my old tee shirt and kakis...with sweat crowning my forehead?
I smiled… “Okay God I get the message” I said in my head…
So instead of telling her why she was wrong I just said, “You are so sweet.  Thank you and you couldn’t be more beautiful.” She ran off to the baseball field smiling…I sent her a message too.
On the way home I thought about the two messages of the day and my friends texts from earlier…
Her eight year old words mixed with his ninety year old words weren’t lost on me…
They used to be… I used to discount things like that…ask my husband… I used that infamous line, “You are just saying that because you are my husband.”  I would dismiss and say thank you but never believe whatever he was saying….
I would discredit the messenger and believe the negative messages from myself and others that really don't know me and don't really love me....

But that’s the thing about God’s messages they are transformative and full of grace…
They make sweaty, grass stained mama’s beautiful and they make ordinary people feel extra-ordinary because of the One that sends them…
He is the one that Has the authority to send them….

So the next time someone sends you a message you feel you aren’t worthy to hear, or couldn’t be true, or doesn’t count because they can’t know the real you or because they do know the real you…
Smile and say thank you
God uses unlikely sources the most. 
Don’t return it to the sender, unopened…
Don’t misinterpret it or junk mail it…
Don’t be like me and say, “You just said that because you have to.”
Say I know it’s true to you because You said so.  And if its true to you that’s what matters most to me.
Because we know its true…we are ridiculously loved Because He Said so….That’s always His message to us tucked in the pages of His word and written in the eyes of the ones that love us…


And when you get to be the messenger, let God write His love with little you as His pen…because really You’re just forwarding on the message originating from God Himself. 

You never know when swing sets and muddy squeaky slides usher in God's messages

Comments

  1. 2 Corinthians 5 is an awesome chapter... thanks for sharing your message today. Such an encouraging one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and thoughtful! I can relate, I often tell my husband things about me that he completely rejects. Not nice things about me that he refuses to see or believe. How sweet that the Lord would encourage you in ways that confirm that you are dearly loved by others and your Heavenly Father! We are a blessed people, huh? Stopping by via FMF!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…