Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays - Lost

I'm again doing this on Saturday...so its a six minute saturday for me....linking up one day late with Lisa Jo Baker's word prompt LOST http://lisajobaker.com


There we were returning fathers day presents like usual when I try to buy clothes for my husband... and they don't work out...
Meredith and Madelyn were hiding between the clothing racks...in a veritable  polo shirt jungle peeking out behind plaids and Ralph Lauren checks...
I get that this is fun...I know it... I remember doing it...but it is not so fun for the mama...when the child goes silent hidden in a forrest of crisp collars and beach tees...
I let them do it for a minute and admonished that they better get out...and now.  We were going down another aisle..

Meredith made her way out and followed...
Madelyn didn't ...we continued on and she came out and did't see us...
I heard her four year old fear whimpers...."Mama!!Mama!!" she jumped out screaming...disoriented running the complete opposite way...
The racks of clothing did seem endless now and all of the smiling shoppers were now scary strangers...
But we didn't freak out...
my husband and i smiled a knowing smile and it was hard to see her run scared.
We let her feel the weight of that moment...with our pause, all the while our eyes were on her...
To let her feel lost...to understand what we meant about getting left behind
It was the most effective tool we've used for that life lesson...for sure...
She ran confused and out of sorts into another section of the store...all the while us watching and then her dad following behind.  He took hold of her warmly and promised it was all okay...
She handed me her tiny glasses frames, tears dripping down her tiny remorseful  face...
"Thats why we don't hide in those clothes..." I said tenderly..and she nodded and so did big sister....

I think we are all like that sometimes...
sometimes we just won't listen to God or maybe it was our parents or well meaning loved ones and friends...
And God lets us...He knows we simply won't learn sometimes unless we get caught, fearful, knowing we really are Lost when He's known it all the while...
He lets us really land in Lost...so we see thats what we've been for so long now...

Sometimes we end up running scared...fear tears blistering warm down our faces and thats what it takes for realization to hit us....to be real to us...finally...
And our Father is like that....Our Father God...he doesn't drag our face in the mud...make us grovel for forgiveness...He follows behind...grabs our shoulders and pulls us into Him and says, "Thats why." and we nod with all our hearts...we should trust Him...
He was just waiting for us to run calling out His name....

And here is my lesson: when other people run lost...run away from what they've always been and believe in...I want so bad to control the situation and make.them.listen but I really can't...to prevent them from being Lost ...i end up losing them....
God is always watching like the Prodigal's Father...He sees us from afar and takes off to meet us...even when we haven't quite made it home yet....
And sometimes God knowingly lets us get good and solidly lost so that we will finally beg to be found by Him... 

Comments

  1. What lovely words and an important lesson for your sweet daughter, and all of us. Thank you for reminding me that sometimes when I am feeling lost, I just need to cry out to God. He is always there, always protecting, and always ready to welcome us back, no matter how far we've wandered. Blessings to you, FMF neighbor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are so true. I am one of those that often doesn't listen to the little promptings, but comes running back when I truly realize how lost I am. How grateful I am that He is willing to take me back! Thanks for the reminder that maybe if I listen the first time, I won't experience the terror of going outside of God's will. Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is powerfully true. It's how I was finally found. Happy six minute saturday! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you did your 5 minutes on Saturday ... and didn't let that one day deter you from sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks all for stopping by...even if it was an off beat saturday :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…