Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays #Nothing

It's a cool Friday and May is just about to peace out...I'm excited for summer and excited to be linking up with Lisa Jo Baker's 5 Minute Fridays the word is Nothing
 http://lisajobaker.com

I read these words and awe and comfort thread together and weave a blanket of love over my heart and a safety net under my feet...

You have searched me Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord know it completely.  You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.  Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence? (Psalm 139)  

I can still remember sitting in my sixth grade Bible class and having to remember these words, repeating them over and over.  And knowing that these verses somehow were meant for me too, a twelve year old with stringy blonde hair and gold rimmed glasses...
That God somehow knew all about me...even then and still even now...

Fast forward to me now...almost 30 and I've seen God many times answer my prayers in general ways or in very specific ways....and every time I get a very specific answer I feel that blanket of awe slide over my heart all over again...
It happened yesterday

I had been praying over a decision I had to make for my oldest one's schooling.  I'm a newbie when it comes to homeschooling and I'm sort of indecisive.  Yes, that's a theme for me in my life...indecisive.
Not really so much about other people, but about myself....like a constant tide that comes sweeping over the shores of my decisions and always second guesses them, sometimes sweeping the dream castles I've started building ...away...

Lately though I've been seeing that sometimes God gives you dreams because you are supposed to have them, because they are His dreams for you...that's been a new theme that has entered my life and let me tell you...this new tide has been hopeful and refreshing...

I really had no idea what to get for any kind of curriculum for my first grader...if you take a gander at homeschool curriculum there is enough to make your head explode and your eyes glaze over weighing all the pros and cons....

I had heard about a homeschooling sale that was occurring at a local church and was admonished to go.  I decided too.  And I offered up little prayers here and there asking God to show me what I was supposed to do about next year....There were two items that I specifically was drawn  to.  I had researched them quite a bit and they just felt like they might fit my kindergartner and first grader well.  But I wasn't ready to commit and really just unsure about was I even capable?

I decided to go to the sale and immediately was overwhelmed as I pushed the baby in her stroller past all of the tables overflowing with thousands of books....I didn't know where to begin and I had precious little time to make it out of there with anything...my one year old was staging a mutiny and I kept looking....

I made it all the way to the final table on the perimeter and nothing...nothing I came for and I sort of felt defeated....
Not that I came looking for sign from Heaven....but nothing was there that made me feel anymore in the know or with anymore direction about what to do....
I pushed the stroller past the last table and something caught my eye.  As I talked with the lady manning her table I looked down and saw the only two things I had wanted sitting right there, waiting for me...
My one year old was trying to climb out and my two older girls were asking "Please, mama can we leave now?"
"Not yet." I enthusiastically smiled at this woman who was gabbing with her friend in-between eating carrots and hummus....
She didn't know that out of all of the boxes and boxes of things people had displayed here...she was the only one that had what I wanted and only two of them (just what I needed for my girls)  the exact thing I wanted...i say that with emphasis. No one else had it.  She didn't know, but I knew...it was God's answer for me

I walked pushing that stroller now weighted down with twenty pounds of books and wielding the baby on my hip and two blonde girls charging ahead of me...and when I slid into my seat I looked up at that cloud kissed sky and I smiled.....

I felt the way I feel when I read those verses penned in Psalm 139....you perceive my thoughts from afar....Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord know it completely....

God knew that if I was to continue with little steps down this road I needed and not just needed, but have to have Him leading my way....and today with questions swirling and babes crying I needed a hope gift and it looked like a lovingly worn, dog eared, highlighted box of old school books...
All those little prayers I had prayed while nursing a baby and washing dishes...He had heard them all and He answered...

My mom has always told me that God cares about all of our lives...there's nothing that He doesn't notice or want to be involved in or included in by You if you just ask ...of course she says that whenever she prays for a parking spot (practical applications ya know?)

And I've known the truth of that before...many many times....
And I knew it yesterday....that wedged in between the math sheets and art projects was the Love of God spilling out for me to see ...that Nothing happens in my life that God doesn't know about, care about, or wants to help me figure out...NOTHING....


Because God cares about it all...even the small stuff

Comments

  1. Coming over from FMF :) So nice to hear how God brought you right to the person you needed to meet. We're starting homeschooling next year and it's definitely a mind boggling and overwhelming concept :) It's comforting to know God has a plan with all things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, you will enjoy it :) it probably won't be what you envisioned, but something you'll love anyways... Lately I've been reading a short book called Called Home : Finding Joy in letting God lead Your Home school by Karen DeBeus...its a short and simple good read...it causes you to really think about the "why" you are doing what you are doing and some encouragement for you in changing your mindset from checking off checklists and filling out workbooks...but really the heart of it...discipleship... Also any books by Sally Clarkson are great resources too!

      Delete
  2. lol Awesome post about how God really does listen! What items were you looking for? I have seen sooo many online and so many different prices! I don't home school as my kids want to attend school but I am always looking (just in case i have more babies) and the prices of some things are crazy! I am also always looking for things to supplement the kids learning through rainy days and summer months. Right now I am looking specifically for a book on learning cursive for my 12 year old, all of the teachers who were supposed to teach it didn't and now she is entering the high school and I realized she can't read cursive. It isn't mandatory to write with but she will need to read it but I struggle to find something age appropriate and learning level appropriate. she will lose interest fast if she is copying the alphabet and writing the word "cat" ! Ugh to school systems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisa...well I'm not there yet...with the cursive yet...I know that I've had several friends recommend different Hand writing copy work books or one called Handwriting with No Tears (?)...something like that...but i think thats for young children. Yes you are right...there is quite a market for curriculum...it can be very expensive. I didn't really want to pay a whole lot for things I may not even end up using...being as this is my first more "serious" year....I looked through lots and lots of different companies...blogs...etc...and found something I wanted to try that was more hands on, colorful, tactile, and more Bible related...i'm not a good typical text book person...i need to see some color on the pages...some excitement! I definitely don't know if we will always choose homeschool...its where God is leading us for the now...and where we were last year and we loved it. I guess when it comes to busy work...from everything I've read and what I already know...the most important thing to do is READ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how God met you, exactly with the answer you needed! Wow...such a great reminder that He does care about every little detail of our lives. Such a beautiful story...I'm glad you shared! :) Have a wonderful weekend, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…