Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays # Paint

Its Friday, time to link up with Lisa Jo Baker's Five Minute Writing Frenzy and the word prompt is one of my favorite words...Paint 
Five Minute Friday

oh and this wasn't five minutes, keeping it real



Five Minute Friday
I miss art class...I miss that dark beige basement with sunlight streaming in and the way that chalky bisque smells waiting for untrained hands to slather it with gobs of glaze that promises to be crackled finish...I miss the projects...the time for just free space for creativity...the adventure to stare at a blank piece of watercolor or canvas and plan...to plan to paint...
...I loved art class in grade school/ high school and college...and not that I was ever good at it.  I am not good at sketching...And i remember the way different art teachers would arch their eye brows and try to say something disguised as positive about my creative expression ...but the more practice I got in college I finally was able to transform some giant pieces of wood into a couple of actually decent landscapes....especially one such seascape...its funny though, when I actually merged all of the twilight periwinkles and seaside aquamarines with pink and lavender sunset shades and got everything actually "just so"...I laid down the brush and decided I couldn't pick it back up...
Me...who is creative, who is always thinking in word pictures or pictures I would like to see painted or dreams or ideas...Me, I'm someone who fails many times to actually see come into fruition what I have thought out....I just thought that I could not attempt anything like that again, because it might be nothing like this last painting...it might be another acrylic avalanche

My husband and mom squabbled over who would get that seascape and mama won.  I remembered my husband's annoyance over it and it hangs up in her nautical themed basement...
But then I had Meredith....

Children many times believe in our dreams and our abilities much more than we do...and we need them to...their faith, makes us see things anew, revisit the things we left..
If Meredith was a painting she is the blend of my husband and I, perfectly....
God blended both shades of his dark and my fair skin to make her creamy caramel...
God took my husbands dark brown eyes and my middle blue and swished the colors around to swirl green,gray, blue always changing eyes that sit big in Meredith's face...
He formed Meredith's head like her daddy's and placed the cheeks i share with my mom on her face...
She truly is a blend...
I am constantly hearing that wherever we go...
And humorously enough of all of the things I would never expect her to possess from me...God threaded the same gold strands that run down my back over her head....color, texture (for good and bad)
One day when I was feeling insecure about being a mommy I remember God whispering into my heart, "I crowned your girls with your golden hair".  That makes me laugh, because I can think of no single physical trait that I was made fun of more for in high school and that equally was adored by my husband...
Yet when God painted Meredith, He included that dark gold on His palette...
She is a blend of families...her hazel eyes are fire lit waiting for someone to jump scared at one of her practical jokes...just like daddy
She is hungry to learn and loves to read...and loves to look at maps and learn geography...just like me
When I am around Meredith, I am reminded that God takes two different people in marriage and blends them into one...and what comes out is different from both with aspects of the same... It’s funny how when I resist the idea of oneness in marriage I really don't have to look any further than my children because they represent what two separate individuals can create when all their colors mix, all their joy, love, hopes and dreams can look like when they come together

So back to painting...Meredith got me and my husband drawing and painting again...He is a skilled cartoonist and has done murals now and can free hand giant sketches to our amazement...
Meredith brought the artist back out in him...And she's got me to draw again and even to splash colors in nature impression across canvas again...And when I ball it up to toss it garbage side...she adamantly insists, "Mommy it was good."
I mostly word paint, story paint now...I love to write poems and stories about Meredith and her sissies...with three girls as my inspiration and nothing in still life...using words and every day wild child wonder to fan brush God joy across the pages of my barely legible writing journal....
Meredith inspired me to think of life so much differently as well as to revisit old dreams lying dormant and wilted...God uses children as artists of love and hope and as the slip that can join two separate pieces of parent clay together...despite the fact that kids cut score marks across us and make us live a new life…a more joined life, forever fused together in the new sculpture that is them…
There's something of my dad in Meredith...if nothing more than her belief in others' dreams...my dad used to always ask me and even still does today ... me with 3 kids and a stay at home mother..
"Somer? What are your dreams?" his eyes twinkle out the question.
I would just look into the big blue eyes now smaller with wrinkled edges and sort of laugh ridiculously at the idea of that ..."Hopes and dreams?" I hadn't even thought I qualified to have them any more or thought they exceeded the school day and tonight's dinner battle...and Dad would just give me His cleft chin smile and say quietly, "Every one has to have them." That Dad’s question just like Meredith’s begging for my shoddy sketching, begging me to take part in dreams and create something

 They might make you wake up to the fact that life really is a canvas God gave you to paint on with colors specifically for you and in your signature way...that He places dreams in Your heart and says "Go" to them...no matter what you really think it looks like, but because He wants you to join Him in creating Life literally and daily with Him as your inspiration and all the beauty He created...
That God is in the dream and youth renewing business and sometimes He uses children or old dads or sweet husbands to encourage you....you can paint....To Paint canvas, to bring hope out of the shadows in someone's landscape, to paint baby cheeks with soft kisses, to do soft strokes on kid backs with gentle hands after a fall, to brush tears out of sad eyes, to paint love across birthday cakes, to paint smiles across your loved ones faces, to accept colors not our own whether they be orphans or strangers, to gloss love over other's faults, to paint sunsets over dark days and to forget them, to paint rainbows across heart skies,  to paint your one life as an exhibit of what God can do with a willing, hopeful artist...joining Him in what He  does...create...
Because in life there is no more important knowledge worth attaining then the art of painting relationships...and it is an art...not a science of formulas...but an art which can only be learned best by joining Hands with the One who paints…
Who paints tangerine skies
paints new blue baby eyes
 splatters stars across black night
swirls turquoise over robin’s eggs and polka dots with black speckles
splashes colors over our dinner plates with rainbows of vegetables and fruit grown in the watercolor of dusty farmer sweat and black soil
who sculpts grandparents with extra skin, that they might hold all that extra love in…
who sketches motherhood in with endless kiddie art projects, laugh line accents, and stretch mark engravings
blends the dark of our stormy gray life messes into showcases for His light to stream in
 Who paints the master piece that is Life, a story about Eternal Life beginning with a bloody easel and a dark Gethsemane night, transformed into Easter sunrise
He looks love on our childlike swirls and sees the finger prints He made through our messy finger painting…
He is the painter that gives us His perspective, His vantage point His scale to see the world in…
He is the artist that doesn’t always answer our faith questions in the way we might like but who gives us all the brushes and colors necessary for our part in His painting…

He is the artist that takes our black and paints it white with His love red and invites me to join Him in painting a life

Meredith loves art class


Comments

  1. Ha! Thanks for keeping it real. That made me laugh and yeah, I would have been REALLY impressed if that was 5 minutes. :) http://iamclothedwithjoy.com/2014/04/11/joy-inducing/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes mine go over 5 minutes too! Today thought for some reason I was super concise! I love your story, I love hearing of other creatives & how they felt through the years in art rooms. I can still smell them. I miss it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! (And oh, yes, five minutes. I've gone over before, too!) What a beautiful reminder of the art that really is everywhere, especially in our children. My Mae has always looked more like her daddy, but just last night we were looking at old pictures, at it was incredible to see how much she does look like me, too. God is truly the Master Artist...it's beautiful. I loved this post, my friend! Blessings and hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…