Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays # Glue

Its Five Minute Fridays with Lisa Jo Baker, where we link up to her Friday word prompt and spill our thoughts ...

Five Minute Friday
The word is Glue...

Glue is in my season of life vocabulary right now, along side 'googly eyes', pom poms, and construction paper.
My girls love crafts.  Its that quiet or shall we say 'quieter' time of creative concentration and focus
Its a messy time too.
We had the glue out just the other day fixing Easter crafts we had made of little chicks with obstinate eyes that would not stay glued, until the glue was held firmly in place by willing hands who wanted to show off their masterpieces..
Glue is sticky, it has to be.
Glue can repair ripped construction paper, super glue can reconstruct vases, toys...wood glue can hold fast furniture...it can..if applied...
I think of Soul glue...things that can glue the unglued soul back together and hold it fast...and I think of Words...good words, words that uplift, words that inspire courage, words that speak light into the dark, words that say 'yes'....I'm a words person. That's where I find my glue...
Words I read pounded out on a keyboard, words i highlight and star in books i love worn ragged by all of my dog ears, words that are spoken to me that breathe cool fresh, life air over my tired soul, and lastly words that I find in the thin precious papers that share God's Words, the Word made flesh...
I need the glue of words to hold me together, to fill in the cracks, to put pieces of my life together that haven't made sense, to repair, to renew...
You know I think we all do.
I have this idea that I've tried to play out with my kids...this idea of my words falling like blessings on them.  Pointed, purposeful blessings I say...that are like Soul glue...that are sticky and maybe sometimes messy but that give them some solidity and helps fill in the cracks...
of course like anyone, and especially like me (always burgeoning with ideas that never come full circle) It doesn't always happen...but when it does it looks like...
...whispers to my 18 month, third girl before she drifts off to sleep, "Moriah, Jesus loves you. God loves you."  I want that truth to be a constant rhythm in her ears, even before she understands it...I want it to sink down deep and fill in the cracks, answer that ultimate question of Divine Love, before she can ask it...
I cupped six year old's chin yesterday, kneeling on a stool...in the middle of hair brushing.  She didn't want to really look into my eyes but I still seized the moment...
"Meredith, I love you.  We love you and God loves you so much more. You are so special to us."
I want that sticky glue of God's love to stick to all of the broken places in her soul...the fill in the soul holes that are sure to surface... because at six I already see the holes...I already hear as a summary of all of her artwork, "Its not good. Nobody likes it." and watch her sad sigh and her hope deflate. I already see the way she wilts when a voice is raised and she can crumble under scrutiny...
That's why I think its so important to regularly be reading Bible stories and telling love stories to your children...God's love to them and yours too...before they even have to ask....

Back to craft time, have you ever taken construction paper and swirled Elmer's glue all over it?  Spread white trails over purple and pink (or perhaps globs of glue if four year old does it)
Then you take bottles of craft glitter and sift out metallic bits of blue, red, gold, and silver....
After the kids thoroughly douse their rain-bowed papers... you shake them off and you see it...
You see where the glue was placed, the sparkles tell the story of the glue...like a highlighter they gleam the glue's trail...wherever the glue goes, the sparkles show...they tell the tale...

Soul glue is like that too....
My soul has potential...its colorful, but missing the spark...until the glue can be applied...God's glue that is...I have to spread His Words thick over my life and all over my life's paper if I want His love to stick...that's just the way it works...He can pour His love in extravagant glitter all over my life, but it won't stick until I mix faith and His words of truth like soul glue...
then His love can stick and my life can really glitter Him...
I can hear truth about the goodness of God and his blessings can literally rain down on me...but I have to have glue, a frame of reference...a foundation of truth to be able to hold on to all that is mine in Christ... to make it a part of my life

My mom is a Sunday school teacher and always has been a Bible teacher to any captive audience...she is an unique person...always thinking on a little bit different wave length...but i love her for it...
She always told us nursery rhymes and silly stories..
After Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall and all the King's Horses and Men couldn't successfully reassemble him..she would always say to bring hope to toddler hearts,
  " But, Jesus could."
I've heard my own girls recite her version of the tale.
My mom knows that only Jesus' words of Life can glue a soul back together...i like her version better and i want my words to mimic His...to fill in cracks and hold together rather than deconstruct...to heal and to smooth over rather than rip apart, to squeeze out Hope so that someone else can hold on

Happy Friday!


Comments

  1. Your mom sounds very special, and I can see you get your storytelling skills from her:) Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...that would make her smile. thanks. you too!

      Delete
  2. This is precious, Summer. Cherish these days of glue and glitter -- they fade all too quickly! You are so right when you say our souls are missing the spark until the glue is applied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pointed purposeful blessings that are like soul glue. Love this. I pray we can all use our words in such a lovely way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! I love your emphasis on The Word being a source of glue in our life :) Also, "I'm a words person. That's where I find my glue.." I love this! I love words too; you have to put thins in personal a quote book! Thanks for stopping by my small corner of the interweb ;-) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…