Skip to main content

Five Minute Friday # The Friends in Front of Your Face

Today its Friday time for joining Lisa Jo Baker's 5 minute Friday ...word prompt is Friend...

Five Minute FridayGirlfriends... sometimes your huddled together over a hot cup of hot chocolate at a quiet cafe or sharing a plate of your favorite dishes quietly...those moments when you get to walk out of your world of sippy cups and juice boxes and instead eat adult food and talk over life adult style...
Those moments are time to leave a world of moment by moment on call mama and enjoy an hour of just sitting, smiling, and laughing ...to linger and to pause...to refresh...
I need those moments...

But here's the deal those moments don't happen a lot...at least for most...they are sweet when they do, but if I'm waiting to meet my friendship quotients in those moments...I'll run dry...

Most of the times when I'm with other friends its loud, lively, and requires some flexibility...
The ability to focus on the words of the other over a din of chaos, loud singing, and frequent interruptions... I'm acquiring that skill...and its always worth it...worth the crazy to share life with someone else...

But the friends I most want to be making are the friends right in front of my face, under my nose, within arms reach...all day long...
I've got three girl friends -to-be who share this nest with me...

I agree that all moms and dads need breaks, pauses, and times of refreshment...its a must for our own health...but i feel like our generation is running out for fellowship and friendship...
running from the people within their own home...
running from the friends right in front of their faces....

I am so glad that I had girls...I remember one of the first moments that my first baby girl was in my arms I whispered over her, "We're going to be best friends."
I grew up with a mom that was a mom in every sense of that word...You didn't mess with her when she gave you that big-eyed look...but she also was willing to play...to be friends...to take the time...
My dad was like that too...he wasn't always running out on the weekends to the golf course or trying to escape a house full of just girls...he spent the time with us....
I know in 10 years my 6 year old may not consider us BFFs for obvious reasons...
However I know that when I weigh down these little moments over watercolors, finger paints, trips to the bookstore, drawing another picture for her to color, letting her crack an egg and spackle the batter with twenty bits of egg shell, be willing to let her apply make up all over my face, or just let myself by the human jungle gym (rather than running out to go to the gym)...when i show interest in things i dont have an interest in because she does...
I'm laying a foundation...a foundation for friendship to be built on....

Friend and I are meeting over a crazy loud play date... I hear it in her voice and see it in her eyes..."My mom wants to be best friends, but I don't want that.  She never had time for me when I was little and now its really too late for that."
That crushes me...The magnanimous weight of this moment falls on me...of these five and six year old moments....All these ordinary moments that I can enter into as an opportunity or waste...
Time marches on and baby girls march from tutu wearers to prom dresses...to wedding gowns...
All of this time spent with others...where will they be in 20? seriously...

You know your kids are really hungry for ...You...
Just simply you...and when we actually give ourselves without distraction it lays the building block moments of a friendship...

I had my simple friendship moment today...
Finally the baby was asleep...she's been sick. all. week...
We just arrived home...and that sleep was shattered by a loud "Mommy!"
I was so annoyed honestly....and I let her know it...
Tinges of regret nudged me to go retrieve the Oreos and jug of milk...
Not an orthodox, healthy snack per say...but my way to say..."I'm sorry.  I hope we are still friends in your mind."
We sit talking in whispers I pour creamy milk out of the jug and into three princess cups...
As her love offering Middle girl hands me her favorite cup..."You can have this one." She offers her best to me.
I pull open the Nabisco blue plastic and hand out the cookies...
We dunk them and I ask ..."Guys are we friends?"
Oldest girl shrugs, "Of course we are!" She's got about three teeth experiencing an oreo black out...
Middle girl now has a milk stache and is wiping chocolate crumbs all over the rug...and I say nothing...
These are the friends in front of my face...under my nose...within my arms reach...
And one day I hope these three girl friends will come back to sit around my table and eat their favorites...to go shopping with, share books with, share life with...because we are friends now over Hello Kitty coloring books and duck ponds, I have a good feeling that we will continue in our path to friendship...and I will have to grow with her, with all three hers...to take an interest in their changing interests always...
But for now we sit with oreos in fingernails, a Nancy Drew open and all of our backs squeezing to find warmth from the heating vent on this chilled down April day....

Comments

  1. "You know what your kids are really hungry for... YOU!" So well put. You are so right! I LOVE THIS! The photo is darling and from the looks of it you and your girls will be friends no matter what. This is so great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure relate to this Summer because I'm proud to say my daughter, in her 30's, is my friend. And I had the privilege of hearing her whisper to her newborn daughter, one day we'll be friends but now I have to be your mama. Not that mama's can't be friends, but you understand. You have your priorities in order!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…