Skip to main content

Park Play, I Saw God Today

Today I'm linking up with Coffee for Your Heart with Holley Gerth and Words of Life Wednesdays with some joy we found outside this weekend...
Coffee for Your Heart 150A Soft Gentle Voice

We had to go to the park, before Winter was a coming-back kid.  Forecast let us know that we had three spring days and we neighborhood walked and park hopped.

The parks were full, with people exuberant to be outside again...to let kids run again, swing again, yell again, breathe fresh air again....

Baby girl's eyes smile as she says "Tee, Tee" wildly, as loud as she can and points to the old park trees gnarly twisting up to a perfectly blue just spring sky...Her nose can't help but crinkle, min crinkles too as I smile at her joy...my whole face feels it....

It was like that first step out into a cold creek, that cold toe shock and the laughter that falls and swirls like all the little trickling pools around you...that joy was on all the faces, joy to just be outside and know that spring was on her way...
At all three parks...I did not see one parent scrolling their phone...or talking on their phone...
and that's rare these days...
I saw parents laughing together or with friends, kid following, smiling big at kids' silly antics

And all the kid joy...its funny how kids walk onto a play ground and become friends...likely they may never meet again or haven't before...but for thirty minutes they can run and chase each other all over the park....

One boy runs up to me...eight or nine he is...and tags me..."You're it."  I can't chase him because I am watching my baby walk instead of crawl this spring, investigate everything...but part of me wants to chase him.  I see him later, "Did you know that you tagged me?" I ask him, smiling happy because maybe he thought I was one of them...one of the kids..  

Its a menagerie of languages and ethnicity as well...Asian eyes happy above full grinning, rose tinged cheeks... i watch her mama take her around the park, i smile and watch her eyes say, "Hello"....
I hear Spanish floating through the air..."Aqui, Aqui!"  two parents say to a daughter wrapped in rose colored shawl now maneuvering the big kid playground for the first time...they seem just as happy as she does...

Its fun work for me to bend myself into many strange and tight quarters as I try to get my one year old up and down as many slides as she wants...Some of the slides...not such a good idea...we go over and up, mama maneuvering down school bus yellow slides that squeak our arrival at the bottom and leave me trying to get up somewhat gracefully..on one of these slowed down rides I feel cowboy boots and hear peals of laughter...my girls are all piling in and we end up at the bottom of a slide a tangle of blonde hair and feet...and middle pistol girl yelling, "Again! Again!"  Can I do it again? okay...

"Girls!" I pull their gaze to a bird, feathers fluttering...dipped in brilliant blue by God... I love spotting bluebirds...the late afternoon sun hits his wings making them glitter and his orange chest gleam... We bluebird chase...we've spotted two and our game is to see just how close we can get.
Oldest girl breathes, "I've never gotten this close before!"
I saw it God...I saw your bluebird beauty...I smile into the open air...this bird was beautifully designed to fly free and I saw it and recognize it as a gift from You...I noticed it and therefore I noticed You, God...."Girls, look how beautiful God made these blue birds"....
We share that bit of nature wonder and then its back to play...me balancing on a splintery picnic bench and a little boy with owlish eyes rimmed in thick lenses has a secret to tell us, "I just found ancient hieroglyphics."  He dares us to believe his discovery. His eyes beg us to believe him, he's picked us out of the crowd to tell and I oblige him...
"Really?" I smile as I step off the picnic bench "You never know what you'll find out here..."
I know that I saw God today...in this park, in this place... in this little new grassy patch of Creation's Cathedral...
The kids atop their daddy's shoulders like kings and queens...
...new puppy joy as one licks a group of giggling girls and boys
...spring blue sky with clouds tissue paper delicate, slow waltzing
...little girl with ankles peeking out of her pants where she grew from last spring
...daffodils trumpeting yellow
....lilting breeze
....that little hand that peach cheek girl gives me to kiss now dirt ringed and playground stamped...and I do and make it all better
I witness Him there, I can witness him here and now...not only in the context of a Cross of course..but here in the way the birds' paths cross the sky...
I can smile a knowing smile...it's Jesus...all this beauty...

Park time is up and its time for us to finally go home...the day has run out and we have drunk new spring down to the last drop...like that sugar concentrate in the last sip of tea...we've gotten everything we could out of this day...their is satisfaction and joy on the faces....we piggy back ride past the river walk...
We witness an old fisherman's joy over caught fish...I smile big..."What are you gonna do with him?" i ask...and I know...this man isn't the type to throw fish back in...
He smiles a toothless beautiful grin, "I'm going to put a brown suit on him. You know what that means?"...I nod and he summarizes his dinner...His cocoa face laughs and eyes twinkle, "I'm going to flop him in flour and then the grease"...my stomach aches...I love fried fish and I want to ask.."And some crunchy cole slaw too, right?" this outside joy has made us all momentary friends...


Displaying photo.JPG
We approach our car and oldest girl grabs a river stone and I do too...we stand there with a birch tree that's bark is ruffling like nature's dress...
She picks a target and so do I ...her wiry six year old arms just can't make it...but she sure does try...i hurl mine and watch her green blue eyes widen...we keep trying and then have to foot race to the car to catch up....those shared moments like a goodbye kiss...

We are back in the car bound for home with periwinkle twilight's backdrop and all of us smelling like the earth, like play...like we've got a good dose of Nature's perfume...and oldest girl sits there with her dirty fingernails pulling chex mix out of the bag...we don't hand sanitize and i still ask for some...she gives me one piece..and i smile at the chex mix miser and eat it...I don't care about the dirt...Cleanliness isn't always a predictor of Godliness, Joy is...and we got a good dose today...
We saw and experienced God's nature love with all our senses today....and like that old saying from someone ...happiness is seeing a sunset and knowing Who to thank...perhaps it is really seeing all the world's beauty and knowing who to always thank...nothing ever makes you feel so full...
I've read the words like a dessert in the Bible, could it be true? God says so, 
 "God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment."  

Yes. God's lavish creativity and love drips down in watercolor sunsets and gentle breezes and boyish grins and baby hands for our enjoyment...my heart smiles just thinking about it...
God wants me to enjoy this...to enjoy Him...

 I realize that flower glory by a four year old, pulling at wildflowers and even pulling up the roots... and us naming Jesus as the petal's maker is better sometimes than a flowered prayer...and how even here in this weed and new grass patch of dirt, my sweat and dirt sandaled  feet can feel Holy Ground...when I know all this beauty is a reflection of the Holy One's beautiful heart....

Im a little girl again...third grade in Mrs. Iris Dean Starkey's children's choir...and the only song I remember us singing is This is My Father's World...in the rustling grass I hear Him pass...He speaks to me everywhere..Even here and now 
Displaying photo.JPG
"Tee, "Tee"....tree wonder 

Comments

  1. Summer, this is so beautiful. I love spring. The new life and hope and joy. How it always turns our praise to our Creator and Saviour.
    You slowed and then saw and savoured the glory of God and then shared with us. Thank you. {Thank you for linking with Words of Life Wednesday}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…