Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays #Willing

Today I'm linking up with Lisa Jo Baker for Five Minute Fridays the word prompt is Willing...

http://lisajobaker.com/ feel free to join the five minute frenzy...

When I read this word the first person that popped into my mind was my mother-in-law, Kathy.
She is always willing, in fact I've never known something that she wasn't willing to do (in a good way of course) for me or anyone else...even if she probably should not...

Heres a five minute snapshot into the Kathy I know, the frames I've seen her in...

People coming to the house impromptu...like a revolving door...she's not a freak out woman.ever.
She just goes over to the pantry pulls out a can of her owned canned green beans and dumps the olive green contents into her pot, slices off a chunk of golden butter and lets it drown...
"Is baked spaghetti okay?" she quietly asks...and it always is...its always good.  its simple but good...simply good...she always has some chocolate stash to offer everyone...its her energy. her love offering... she knows some Hershey goodness communicates warmth to everyone..and now she buys me dark chocolate because she knows thats my language....
She's always willing to help with her grandchildren in whatever way she can. always.  She will find a way to make it happen...i could call her at any time of night or day and i know she would be there if within her power....
She will mend holes in dress up outfits and even will try to make me bedskirts and aprons for my girls...
She knows how important books are to me and my girls and she finds them for us...
She is willing...
She does the taxes for the whole family...with whatever free time she finds ...when it is...i don't know?
She watches three of her grand kids weekly and despite her fatigue and battle with MS...makes these long days special, full of activity and a sanctuary of love for her grand kids... she's always coming up with projects and new ideas for them....
She's always willing....
My girls don't spend the days with her because I am at home with them, but the times they have spent with their Mawmaw are very special to them...
My husband has her brown eyes and he also has her steady,willing attitude that doesn't complain but just presses on...I'm glad...i'm so glad that he takes after his mothers' willing spirit... she doesn't and he doesn't make excuses, but makes ways...

Its funny how different i am than my husband and his mom...i can be a freak out woman, i feel the pressure when people show up at my door unexpected, and i'm not that good at multitasking, i also cannot sew. at.all....
i like to wear jewelry and get my hair done unlike her simplicity
i like bright colors and hot spicy food unlike her simple home cooked goodness...
but I do hope that despite my differences I have that quiet willingness ...i hope that it is a part of me, becoming me...

One day I heard her say when she got into the car something about being thought of "as that MS woman" i shook my head in the cold wind whipping by the car, my words didn't come out... but what i wanted to say was, "Kathy, no one thinks of you as 'that MS woman', we just know you as a willing, gentle woman."

I know you as a woman who has even faced the dread of a child's death and has been willing to walk down that road with God...quietly accepting God even in this...exhibiting strength even in the worst scenario...holding onto Hope...I was amazed that day canning salsa grown from beloved son's garden...canning up his last earthly work...you were offering words of hope to others, when they should have been offering them to you..being willing in the crucible of life to let God have His way and trust His love... 
I love you

Comments

  1. Oh this is beautiful. Thank you so much for your words. I am grateful to have read your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this thought - making ways, not excuse.

    you are blessed to have her in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your post oozes gratitude. Thank you for the uplift and perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…