Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays # Mighty

Today I'm joining Lisa Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday writing flash mob and the word is "Mighty"

Five Minute Friday
Mighty is one of those words that simultaneously always comes in the same phrase as God.  It's in children's songs and choruses I've sung all my life about God.  Great and Mighty is He.  It's in myriads of Bible verses as a God description. It is a word that makes me think of an unstoppable force to be reckoned with, a word for the hopeless situation, a beam of light shining down into thick darkness...And when I think mighty I automatically think of Jesus' grave...stone rolling and death literally exploding with life...something so other worldly, so mighty and only something that God can do....
Let me tell you the other words in my mind synonymous with mighty... Hope...
Hope is what has to be in your heart in order to withstand any insurmountable force of life...whether it be death, sorrow, debilitating illness, loss, heart ache, financial turmoil...whatever...you have to have Hope...or you will cave...life will drown you if you don't wear Hope like a Life saver...if you can't shoot up flares of Hope when the storm is dark then you don't have anything...

As a follower of Jesus I know that no matter what happens...I have Hope...I have the Hope of Heaven and I have the hope of the love of others that know him...that share the Hope...

Sometimes I wonder if that wasn't the difference with Peter and Judas...Judas betrayed Jesus and hopelessly ended it all, before even nightfall of  Good Friday...Peter's thrice denial, running scared and ashamed, not even mentioned at the cross got "reinstated" by Jesus....and was commissioned by Jesus to "Feed My Sheep"...given Hope, given new chances, new beginnings... and he becomes mighty enough to die for the Jesus he denied
You know Hope is part of God's three stranded chord of spiritual must haves...it holds hands with Faith and is led by Love..

If you have faith in a God that is always mighty to save and who is the Great King of Heaven who is leading your way, who can move mountains if He chooses, or will be your shelter and fortress if he chooses not to..the Head Lifter the feeder at Life's Cherith Brook...
If you  own the hope that God hasn't given up on you and will use even you and me to work His miracles, mysteries, and show His might ...who believes in your capabilities and recognizes the gifts He placed in you...more than even you do...and who wants to use the very dreams he placed in your life 

and if you have Love...the greatest of the three..you can see God's might in your life in unimaginable ways... 
There is no more mighty a force than unconditional Love and no other source for this force than God...Love's originator... the God who is Love

I see might in God's people played out in many ways...things only His might can equip people to do..
....unconditionally love the unloving
....offer forgiveness for unthinkable
...give up the riches of the world for the well being of the poor 
...carry a child knowing it will die hours after its' earth arrival, but being faithful anyways 
...make the retiree give up his days of ease to endlessly pour out His life for others
...make people with full lives, open their hearts and pocket books and homes to orphans
...make a daughter say of tragically murdered mother, "She's safely home."
...God's mighty power working through the weak is capable of amazing things...
And I witness my own "mighty God moments" in the smallness of home...
Here's one that recently happened...a mighty question asked me a couple of weeks ago by my little middle girl...Her name means high minded...Madelyn and her middle name is faith...i don't think she could have been given a more suitable name, 
"Mama?"  she softly asks and I barely hear almost don't even answer 
"Uh, yes?"  I almost ignored her because I was helping oldest girl make a "recipe" (as the little girls call it)...Little girl speaks softly over the dinner hour din...."Mama? Can we really change the world?"
I felt my face go blank and out of the mundane i was wonderstruck at such a question... i nodding my head... "Oh yes, Madelyn..you can when you tell others about God."  
she smiled quietly...like hope was falling like soft rain on her heart...what a mighty question in the midst of five thirty....
Our words can be mighty...they can be filled with love and grace, they can possess faith  and they can offer hope to people everywhere...everyday...they can make the mundane, the mighty

"Mama? Can we really change the world?"  ...a four year old's ambition 

Comments

  1. Beautiful post! Such an insightful question for a little girl to ask and she's lucky to have a mama like you who tells her that yes, through Christ, she can. I loved your list of things people can do when they have the hope and love of Christ in their lives. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…