Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays - #Crowd

Early morning dishwasher's view 
Its Friday again...time for Linking up with Lisa Jo Baker's Five Minute Fridays...the word is ...Crowd
http://lisajobaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5minutefriday.jpg


Crowded thats the way I always assume people feel when they come into my house for a get together.  It is a small space.  Quite small.  Narrow and only 3 rooms per level...and small rooms at that.
5 Warm Septembers ago I sat there with baby swelling out my belly and signed the papers with my husband that we would embark on the journey of home ownership...i enjoy that phrase...mortgages really can own you...
We moved in to the little house with cracked concrete sidewalks...musty seventy year old house smell...two ancient trees spreading canopies over the small patch of front yard....
"I knew you would like it." husband said as he showed me the little place, motioning to the fireplace mantle...the center piece of the living room.  "And it has the hardwood floors you wanted" he said...and it did...
I remember moving day was only three weeks from the day our second baby arrived in the world...
There was no time to decorate up a nursery...and she would be sharing a room with her sister...
This house only has two bedrooms....
I remember that moving day that all our family helped with ...jammed in this little house sitting on the floor and around the little table eating plates of hot spaghetti and slabs of butter cake ...our Thanks for the their help....
The first day here started with a helping crowd...and its been filled with crowds ever since....
We made this house work and it did work...does work...
Its been the music hall where the toddler symphony has beat its heart out and we've sat back listening to the cacophony of two wild girls running around the small living room singing their heart out... 

All that cracked sidewalk has been the cool gray canvas where all of us have bent down like children, wielding pastel chalk and rainbowed the front yard...

Living Room Dress Up


That small flat patch of backyard has been the greeting place for our kids to embrace other precious kids...their neighbors... endless conversations and laughter happening at the back fence line....small dirty little fingers clinging to chain link, laughing silly as I distribute again a fistful of ice cold freezie pops that ring little mouths purple, aqua and leave them asking "Please, just one more Mama..."

That at sometimes claustrophobic galley kitchen where a host of cooking experiments and meals have been whipped up...Hundreds of them...because we eat mostly at home....Me with whisk and baby on hip....I've even rescued almost burnt offering food while breast feeding and yelling at that beast of Brutus to get out of the way..his nose always about a hand length away from my hand chopping onions or stirring another pot of soup...that baby girl who is always waddling to the dogfood bag and getting one tiny morsel and love offering it to our big sloppy dog...she smiles big smile and goes back again....

Even that sink full of dirty dishes during the day and then the strainer full of clean at night...when I stay up late to sudsy water think or sometimes talk over the day with my husband and eleven o clock night quiet... I never got that dish washer I made my husband promise that we would get...that was non negotiable....

That fireplace that made me feel like Ma Ingalls...we spent different winter nights laying infront of it fire popping, flames dancing...us letting our kids camp out and we back achingly stretched out...just to let them feel the excitement of camping out....of being "like Laura Ingalls" because that is the stage we are in...we even have the costumes...
Dining Room/School Room/ Science Experiment/ Cooking Experimentation Room 


That deck where my husband and my daddy's sweat fell and body ached to produce the best part of the house...the new deck that was birthed in literally 100 degree July sun and housed hours of tricycle races and hours under the umbrella chatting it up with my mom or my buddy Kristen...big enough for the kiddie pool to splash in and is now decorated with a repeating pattern of muddy paw prints....the new deck the most spacious part of the house...

Even those blasted stairs that sent us to the Emergency room twice and I as an adult fell down with a runaway basket of dirty clothes...and who tripped up Auntie Faith...maybe fifty times... I always knew when I heard a moan and a thud..."Faith doesn't have her glasses on...tripping up to the bathroom"
Even those blasted stairs that won't be happening again...Even those I helped babies crawl up, one fat ringed leg at a time, peek a boo out the banister and wave first baby "Bye bye" to a captive audience...and whom oldest girl pretended to be mountain climbing down with her rappelling jump rope.

When I read the word Crowd...thats what came to mind...my house because it makes birthday parties feel like a crowd or just one family with kids over feel like a crowd...theres just not a big room to shoo them off into...It's talking over yelling, jumping and princess dress up...
I've had some people say stuff to me like, "When are yall moving?  You are having another baby and you only have two bedrooms? You're moving right?" and I felt I suppose we should...but it wasn't the right time...and two little girls would've slept together if we had had six bedrooms...even now they are snuggled right up next to each other's side...and baby girl got her crib right next to our bed...its been difficult, but hey yall...its been done for hundreds of years...

Once a little boy came over and was sitting in our living room, " Are we just going to stay in this one tiny corner of the house?" his brown eyes dubiously asked...."Well," my husband said..."There isn't much more to it" he deep laughed...

I've learned a lot living here....
That i didn't have to have a dishwasher...cable (we never got it as an experiment)....more than one bathroom and I didn't even need a guest bedroom...we had my sweet sister want to live in our closeness...down in the basement surrounded by hot pink girl curtains and little kid toys... and our love grew...

Our family grew and our love grew as we lived, breathed, ate, slept, hugged, kissed, tucked in and in again, planted flowers( and then resigned them to early death because once again I had another baby on the hip), had people over to eat at our little place...

To sum it up....it may have been a crowd but I've learned something about hospitality...in the Bible its referred to as something we are supposed to practice...house size, cooking quality, noise level or not.. and we have done that here...its nothing to brag about...and it won't leave you impressed but maybe your heart got loved and felt better when you left...maybe this small space let people feel God's love and ours too and that is enough...because the heart of Love isn't about impressing one's eyes, but impressing one's heart with God's love...
 Now that we are in the process of selling our house and looking for a new one...
One with a dishwasher ( i admit its a non negotiable again) and maybe two bathrooms...and a school room...
Oldest girl sums it up from her heartfelt "I'm going to miss this place"
Me too...I won't miss the third floor basement washing machine...but I will miss the marker scribbles on your wall, our sweet neighbors on all sides and all the memories hatched in our little crowded house...
Lawn Flower...one that actually thrived :)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…