Skip to main content

Happy Birthday Faith

Sister…You're Why I always wanted Sisters…

Sister its your birthday...
Sister this day is one of my most special days…

Because On this Day…God gave our family You…

He brought a feisty little girl with chocolate curls and eyes colored blue gray green
Freckles splashed across small nose
On this day God placed Faith in our hearts and in our Home…






On this day I received my playmate in everything…

My club house keeper
My paper doll dresser
My Sun soaking partner…all those afternoons at the swim club with orange soda…splashing summer away...
My Slumber Party (nightly) from the time I was four and I still remember that first "sleepless night" of you holding Holly, your doll above your head and whispering to her while I complained that you wouldn't sleep…
Later when we became scared of the White Witch in Narnia peeking out of our closet we pulled that purple quilt over our heads…and dared to look out...
Our slumber parties that went all the way into college…we had separate rooms but we had to lay in bed ... laugh and whisper…

My Nancy Drew and American Girl reader…
My fort maker as we blacked out all of the windows and pretended to be Prisoners of War escaping or rafting down some arctic river
My companion on all of those Sunday Country drives, after dad made sure we were full of nachos or popcorn shrimp and then drove us around and around all of Botertourt County…
My birthday party sharer…7 days a part...
Me always the cowgirl and you the Indian…with braids and blue fringe...
My favorite friend….
It was You…
You get me…you grew up with me…You knew the context of my family…we shared tears, hugs, slaps (only in the bathroom where our parents couldn't tell us not to fight), dreams, hands as we walked down the beach, pogs (those ridiculous collectible milk caps), make up, and worries…




I remember how silly you were…how funny you were…you were the laughter in our house….my seriousness was met with your joy…i've got the pics of you with false eyelashes as mustaches and you always dressing up as "an old grandma"

I remember all the ways I bossed You…and you took it…

I remember how everything I started to do (sports, piano, art..whatever)…you took up and did it better…and I am okay with that… I really wasn't jealous …because when You truly Love someone you cannot be jealous…only happy for them… Proud of them…

I remember all the dates you went on me with…to "chaperone" me and we really we just ended up all having fun…so much fun my husband was cool with you moving in last year and being a part of our crew…living life everyday with us..cooking…chilling…laughing…job hunting

I am proud of you …and always will be…Whenever I introduce people to you…I want people to know I say it with pride…not arrogance..but pride that i have you to call Sister…

Things I want you to know, Sister…

That even though you've worried that you don't know what to say or aren't fun to be around…I don't know what you are talking about…I always thought you were soo fun…I was never annoyed that you tagged around with me and my friends…I loved it

That even though You've had a few different jobs, going where God opens a door…and trying to find your way…I am proud of the tenacity and boldness you've shown to hang on and just do it…

That I look up to you for the way you can leave this country and go live on your own and make it….

That I believe that mom and dad rightly named you…Faith…

I remember that day that you prayed, telling the dying that they Could Know Him…and you were only ten or eleven...
The letters you wrote asking that she would know Him…

I believe when I look at you now and where you're going…that God has something for you to do for Him…I see glimmers of it…I see the fierceness that you are capable of…and that you can do hard…and I remember that 17 year old girl with sweat curling all the hair around her face in 100 degrees Nicaragua telling her story…her testimony…telling these precious people…whom she loved…how they could know Him…

I know what your favorite verse is…the one about Enoch..being full of Faith and then was no more…because He walked with God…

Faith…by the way… I love to hear you rattling off Spanish and see all of the international fascination you've always had…always had…from the age of five and Its A Small World After All...  your Chinese costumes and foreign legion of dolls..culminating in all of the Spanish that  now that rolls off your tongue.




Even if you are not a mother..you have the heart of a mother with my girls….all the texts.."Make sure to kiss them all and tell them Chica loves them."
All the silliness that you go along with and stir up to bring smiles to all their faces…
the antics, the voices, the stories…

The way you were the first person at the hospital when I went to have my oldest…tears pooling in your eyes as you held her… the way you look when you spend the night…you somehow pushed up against the bedrail with a lot of pink covers piled on…and two little bodies with feet in your ribs and heads leaned into your shoulders…

I want you to know sister…that you are the reason that I always wanted Sisters…

After I had my Meredith…I just had to have another girl…a sister…I just knew she needed a built in best friend to share her life with…to grow up with…to never give up on and always walk with….
to squabble and then forgive…
to defend and stand by…
to pray for and lift up her head…


Happy Birthday to you my Sister…
You are loved by many
Prayed for throughout the day
and Believed in …
I am full of Faith for you Faith…My life is so blessed by your birthday





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…