Skip to main content

Five Minute Fridays Small#

I'm linking up with Lisa Jo Baker's Five Minute Fridays…lisajobaker.com

Five Minute Fridays where we are given a Word and asked to type away for five minutes…
The Word is Small

Small…
My life is brimming over with smalls.  I'm not a particular accomplished in anything person, except maybe the small.
I'm a mom who never leaves the post…I'm a stay at home mom and trying the endeavor of homeschooling ( and I am loving it)….but smalls fill up a moms day…small moments filling seconds…filling hourglasses…all our days are filled with small opportunities….mine just happen to be with small people...

I could talk about the small feet that pad down the steps in nightgowns and must be sent back to bed…the one year old feet that i find kneeing me in the back and me with my head tilted barely off of my own bed…
The small letters we color and send to others….Small hands that carry cupcakes to our beloved elderly neighbor…
Small smiles with big voices that sing on repeat over and over at loud decibels as we drive to and from….and I now give in and sing with them…lets all jam out to "I'm all Shook Up"…for the fifth time
I could talk about the small baby hand that covers my chest as I nurse her to peace….
I could talk about the small meals we share of apple slices and nutella ( Thank you God for a condiment that anything can be dipped in and eaten in chocolate oblivion …its a vehicle in this house )

But this is my new Small…one that I'm doing and feeling better about…
I'm trying to be Yes Mom….

I got this fresh insight from a book I highly recommend to moms and women everywhere called
 No More Perfect Moms …. if it was my own book and not a library find it would be basically clothed in neon green highlights…
The author Jill Savage  talks about being a Yes Mom…one who will say yes to things rather than always saying no…she points out that saying "no" many times is wrapped up in our own desire to not have more to do, more mess, more work, or have our plans of our day shifted reworked…but the effort to be a Yes mom is always worth the joy…

"Mom can I finish my sketch?" oldest asks bent head with crayon in hand furiously sketching a camping scene…its late at night…"Um..well yes."  I said it and it felt good rolling off my tongue… Its only five more minutes right?

"Mom can we wear our bathing suits?" at six o clock on a February evening …"Nn--" I cut it off…"Okay" I reluctantly bless her with and am blessed back with a face splitting smile as two people pretend the Sochi olympics by jumping off my couch and doing triple toe loops (?) to my applause…
kitchen help and extra taster 

"Mom can I help cook?"  its one of those questions that you get as a mom of a four year old and know that you need to say Yes…if you want to keep her wanting to cook and help but know you will be eating some extra pepper and fishing out the egg shells…I smile and sigh slightly…"Okay yes you may"…her bright eyes and determined serious whisking is worth it all

Middle girl, begging to wear the same yellow dress on repeat and more washing for me….and its snug on her…I beg for a different one, one that isn't so dated and matches the leggings she wants to wear…but I relent… i pick her up from her church class decked out in an old yellow dress almost 30 years old and too little.  "We heard all about the dress." they tell me…
You see its my yellow dress that she always wants to wear and how could I say no to that?…especially when from the back seat she whispers to me "I'm going to give this dress to my little girl one day."

"Mom can we snuggle?" ….can I really say no to love and be justified? 
"Mom can we hear another chapter?" ….can i really say no to a thirst for more books?  we have to flip Nancy Drew's page and find out the next clue...
"Mom please tell us another story?" ….can I really say no to those who want me to tell them about their aunt and mom's childhood silliness…
"Mom, can we please go splash in the rain?" ….Its summer and its warm and I must say Yes…
"Mom can we play in the mud?" …my grimace is now becoming more Graceful…how can i say no to kids exploring God's world? … as long as their shoes are placed by the door before they come in

"No"…its a necessity of parents for protection, boundaries, order, and my own sanity and well being…but I want my kids to remember a mom who tried to make their dreams end in Yes…who was ok with being bothered and ok with being exhausted at the end of the day….who made being a kid fun…instead of hampering it with unnecessary "no"s….
So thats my new small…a small word…"yes"  
It feels good to say…to speak "yes" over them and watch joy spread like wild fire from their smile to mine…its sure more fun to say Yes than No…


Rain Dance 

The yellow dress 

Comments

  1. Ah, the small "yeses" that make big memories....I need so many more yeses in my mothering! Thanks for that reminder this morning! {I hopped over from the FMF Party}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…