Skip to main content

Snow Joy

I wrote this about a month ago in the depths of winter and called it "Snow Joy" but when I saw the writing prompt I thought it fit Five Minute Fridays # Joy ....so sorry if I'm taking you back to winter....
Five Minute Friday
Today I'm linking up with  http://holleygerth.com/coffee-for-your-heart-love/
For Coffee for Your Heart with Holley Gerth...the topic is What Brings You Joy? or How did you Bring Joy to Others This week....

If you leave anywhere on the East Coast you were met with inches and feet of snow last week...
Its been several years ...maybe ten since that last big snow in college shut in dorm rooms and no classes.since snow joy snow balled and hit me....



Snow Bunny who could not contain her snow joy

Brown eyes that could melt ice...wanting Outside


For the past six years its been a source of  mud, more laundry, runny noses that morph into another winter cold, and weather that keeps us homebound and running a cabin fever...but last week...even the snow made this winter grouch smile.... 

I got some texts and phone calls from others down and out with cabin fever and the confines and close quarters it brings...but this year...I got cabin comfort and a good dose of Snow Joy...and it looked something like this....
A full twenty four hours with my husband alongside our three girls...that doesn't occur...rarely ever...except if we are on a vacation or trip...
Winter "Tea" more her speed
Two mornings of family breakfasts with dad...waffles hot from the griddle formed into Valentines hearts...fresh maple syrup from the tree (the good pure stuff)  puddling beside bacon and icy watermelon cubes...
button noses peeking above the rim of tiny teacups brimming with hot chocolate surging with marshmallow foam..sticky mustaches forming above pink lips...snow talk the topic of conversation 

strong man shoveling heavy wet snow for neighbors and then an igloo for winter adventures...
two girls in snow suits that were almost too small...signaling our need to invest in new snow gear...thank goodness for snow boots to hide the snow suit high waters...
kiddie feet hiding beneath three layers of mismatched socks warding off all the ice that trickles down when you are so short you can barely walk in snow drifts....
...black dog floundering wild in snow this deep and full of play potential
....oldest girl running around with mouth open eating her fill of snow manna...turning her cheeks rose pink 
...icicle hunts, fire crackle and pops...popcorn..couch cuddles...Snowed in Together Joy 

The house was more of a wreck than usual...sink overflowing with dishes, bowls cemented to the table by tomato soup spills, ice puddles at all doors...snowy clothes in mountains and drip drying from chairs and stairwells...
Snow Messy Joy

Mom and dad who tried to take everyone sledding down a monster hill and found that they were having quite a time making it up the hill themselves...the hill might as well have been the Matterhorn as far as the girls were concerned...Snow Thrill Joy spreading wide over sun soaked faces

Something was different for me...my name is Somer...meaning Summer(just spelled wrong) ...I've always thought "Thank goodness my parents didn't name me winter!"  No offense to Winters...i think its a beautiful word...but its the only season I'd be quite cool with skipping...As crazy as this sounds, I found it strange when I realized that all four seasons were part of God's creation before the Fall..surely I thought Winter was a by product of the fall...but not so...not so..
This Year I saw Winter with fresh eyes...fresh kid eyes...like the vision I used to have when all I did on snow days was go up and down Read Mountain hill with my friend Caryn until I was soaked to the bone...
I saw God...in Winter...
I passed by a part of the city that is usually a forlorn patch of mud and dead looking sticks with a hodge podge of rocks that jut out brown and ugly ....and as I passed by I couldn't help but think...that normal ugly...was now interestingly beautiful when skirted by God's snow 
"Girls...the snow is like that ...it unifies or levels everyone...everything looks the same when covered with snow...like God...we all look pure no matter how deep the sin in our hearts when we are covered by God's love and grace."  

We have quite a drive to get to our new church, but I enjoy it...unless I'm running late...its about a 35 minute one out in beautiful country...and all the Snow Joy was magnified on our three trips to church post snow...

This suburban girl has never spied a woodpecker before...and as I was speeding around a curve I saw one illuminated in the winter snow and visible now on the winter naked bark ...ready to hammer the icy bark off of the tree...the snow shining fire through the orange mowhawk that crowns a woodpecker magnifying it, calling my attention and I was excited...more Snow Beauty Joy...
I passed the most brilliant winter Sunset I have ever seen...I must confess that even though I dislike winter I enjoy the sunsets...they are different..the angle of the earth...the rose color that seems to tinge the horizon...its different...and I saw the Winter sunset of the year and my heart ached for a camera to capture it... "Meredith, try to remember this is your mind." I yelled to the recesses of the back of the van...to the only girl that isn't lulled to sleep on quiet country drives...
Snow covered mountains icy blue in evening shadows, quite a contrast to the electric oil spill of a neon sun glowing all over the western sky....neon pink highlighting the edges of a host of strangely formed clouds ...all the bare branches black against the blazing backdrop of sky fire...more of God's Winter Glory ...
"Why mom?" Meredith asks...
"Its a winter sunset...and there will never be one exactly like it again.  Wouldn't you want someone to notice your masterpiece?" I appeal to my artist daughter...she smiles, nods

I smile out the window and whisper passing by ponds skimming with ice and snowdrifts..
"God your winter, it is beautiful" 

This usual winter grouch had her moment the next day.... I pull up to gas station and get out...woman next to me opens car door, disgruntled mutters "Can't wait for this to be over."  I get her meaning...this ...winter...
I smile big...its the first time I've said it since snow days and my mom's hot cocoa and Caryn and my soggy icy sleds...
"You know this year I love it!"  I smile back to her and squeeze my daughters hand...feeling a little of the Snow Joy that lights up her eyes....yes I got a healthy dose of Snow Joy and a winter reformation...
...even though, i still had muddy whispers of spring joy watching my kids play with no coats and mud soaked pants in the melting 60 degree snow yesterday...spring I welcome you too but Winter ...we aren't archenemies now
All God's seasons are beautiful and rich with meaning...




Comments

  1. Just love your writing! What beautiful expressions of these snowy days...and endless appreciation. Beautiful. So glad I stopped by from Holley Gerth's!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…