Skip to main content

Thankful...for Him


Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being praise His holy name.
Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits….

Love Notes


Its Thanksgiving….what all our days should be…
Its my favorite holiday (well 4th of July I love you too, but your food isn’t quite so good)

Its always been such a special day to me….maybe its because unlike Christmas…it isn’t materialistic…especially if you do not participate in Black Friday…
Its just family & food….laughter, kids playing games, thankful prayers, gravy bowls, citrus glazed ham, soft sage infused stuffing, creamy pumpkin pie cheesecake, sweating glasses of iced tea…

Now I am the first to confess it can be stressful…I usually don’t prepare food…but we have two stops to make and so its an all day affair…every holiday….
Inlaws first, my parents next and we are gone all day….
It can be a lot…but it is our blessed and happy lot….and I do well to remember that…

Let me tell you that I’ve been on a joy hunt for three Autumns now…I’ll stray away sometimes in the spring forgetting my gift hunt notebooks with scrawl that probably is not legible to anyone but I…
But every Autumn I return to writing down all the Love gifts I’ve found in my life…
I thank Ann Voskamp for this idea, because it is transformative and one I cannot get away from…
It changes the Lens of negative that I see at default and makes me Look for Him everywhere, everyday, and could be in every way…

Today let me tell you the Love I found…already and its only 9 am…
I always get up first…its my quiet time…time for silence and peace and time to do laundry, drink coffee, read the Bible, write the gifts I found the previous day, to reflect, to pray, to be Still…
I need it…I’ve learned that to have a day that is worth having…my Soul must soak in His word and reflect on His goodness…I must say Thank You before all the littles wake up and the roller coaster begins ( you see my kids do not regularly nap- so morning time is the only quiet time…the time when me and the dog sit quietly together and I watch the Sun rise and begin its course through the sky)

Today I got up, bleary eyed and thinking of all that would be a holiday…all I needed to do and compelled that I must have my quiet time… As I poured my cup of coffee I found the Love…
3 Handwritten Notes…3 thank you cards written on notebook paper…
All penned by my sweet husband and illustrated by my children….
I know it was his idea…
And he helped and assisted with each one…
“Thank you for being my teacher”…said oldest girl…hers illustrated with a black stallion …she’s in the horse fascination stage of being a girl….
“Thank you for teaching me about God”…I know this is from the middle girl with the tongue always speaking truth about God…in ways I haven’t expected…yes this thank you was from her
“Thank You for being a wife that takes care of our children.  Without you our family would not function.  Thank you for the long hours.  I Love you.” …this from my husband….
As he wrote this…I was tired…I was on baby watch and spread out on my bed, …weary and with no idea the love that I would awake to today….

Something has happened…..

Over the past two months the man who has much on his plate and shoulders has started to shoulder some of my load without being asked…

He has started washing the dishes for me (we don’t have a dishwasher) as I put babes to sleep instead of watching television….
He has started filling up the coffee maker with coffee grounds and sprinkling it with cinnamon…setting out cups and sugar for me…lovingly arranged…so that when I wake up I just flip the switch…

All this…all at once…from him…
These two gestures have meant so much to me…
My husband is gone at night many times late and these two things have put wind back in my sails when I am tired…He loves me…I knew this, but sometimes in the midst of all things non stop and messy…I forget….I forget that is why we married…why we had these three blonde sweethearts…it started with love….

Many gifts have been given this fall…
New chapters are on the horizon…
Its been a season of getting ready for new roles and responsibilities and wrestling with the goodbyes and questions….
Seeing God move among His people and our Church…
We are nothing but thankful….thankful that God is continuing to provide for us…in ways when we haven’t been able to provide for ourselves…he has used the hands of others so many times this year to help us…and we are humbled…

Our parents…many times….
Our neighbors…
Our dear friends….

I cannot say enough that God has blessed me and I know so many times I have missed it…missed Him… when I fail not to celebrate His provision…when I only see the mountains of life….

Psalm 103 is one of my favorites…it’s a powerful Psalm…..

Praise the Lord, my soul…and forget not all His benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles……

This Autumn…our youth has been renewed…

And I am thankful…

Thankful for this sweet man (who didn’t have the television on last night but played hide n seek with our girls and drew thank you cards)

Thankful for the sister that was in my house again, home with nieces spread all around….all cuddled in blankets…no one sleeping

Thankful for Oldest girl and our adventure with school…and all the wonder we shared…over books, over stars…and the rainbow chase we went on


Thankful for the Middle girls who is always the one who declares her love for me and is always fighting for my attention…and singing of God


Thankful for the big brown eyed baby who is nothing but sweet and cuddly…whose curved cheeks can’t be kissed enough and melts all of our hearts



Thankful for my sweet husband who is continuing to grow and change, continuing to increase in faith & love...and God...

Daddy showering Middle Girl with roses and balloons for birthday

Thankful for sweet friends who have never failed to encourage me, laugh with me
Thankful for a women’s group that wanted to make things happen this fall and study God’s word
Thankful for precious parents & inlaws that have helped us tremendously
Thankful for a Savior that has never given up on us and Has given us enough faith to keep moving on…who has always been faithful...always.  Whose nail pierced hands have placed within our hands All of these gifts....

Comments

  1. Thank you, Somer! Beautifully written and full of wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entire post just made me smile, friend. What amazing blessings and gifts. :) And, seriously, there was a point in the middle when I asked myself if we could be long-lost sisters...because I don't have a dishwasher, either, and I love my coffee brewed with cinnamon. I don't think I've ever met anyone else who does that! ;) Have a great week, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…