Skip to main content

Laundry - Five Minute Fridays


Laundry is the one task of household work (except for window cleaning please overlook the kaleidoscope of fingerprints and nose prints and dog paws) that I can never ever get a handle on.  That growing mountain at the foot of the washer sorted out into haphazard piles and then washed in lavender smell, only to be rewashed because it has not made it to its 2nd destination the dryer before the sour scent of mildew has set in…I live in an old 3 story house circa 1948 and the bedrooms roost upstairs under the old eaves and the aforementioned washing machine is on the third floor.  Those two stair cases to the basement somehow some days seem like another destination altogether, really unchartered territory in the great unknown of our basement…J Its not that I don’t have the best intentions to get there, I’ve just got too many road blocks and detours.  Three little blondies 5,3, and almost one …with couches to jump on, fights over dolls and toys, crayons and toy cars and doll house explosions that stand all over the floor space…then there’s that blasted Brutus that lives up to his name wagging his mighty tail and plowing into me…there are lessons to teach around the table, maps to draw, phonics songs to sing, diapers to change and lunches to make…and somehow mommy only made it to do one cram –the- washer full load at nightfall… “Where are my clean shirts and jeans?”  Husband quizzically sifts through drawers not finding matches to socks (my dryer truly is responsible for that problem) and his favorite shirts.  “I’m sorry babe, I just didn’t make it down there today”….as if it was some foreign location or a Laundromat across town…
So laundry you are my constant source of mommy humility (among many) and homemaker education…one I’ve never mastered…
I grew up in a house with a mom who only did washing on Mondays and finished it all and as she brought up the baskets of warm towels and sheets we would take turns wrapping ourselves in their heat and smelling deep the clean linen smell… She & I well we have our similarities…but laundry washed, folded, and put away in a day……well we aren’t cut out of the same cloth there….
But now I won’t be having so much laundry to do…I’ve been in the process for the month of lessening our loads.  This fall at my church we are studying the book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess and let me tell you ….I never realized how many clothing items we had.  I really hadn’t bought much of the items (I don’t often shop…. once a year I’ll go buy 2 pairs of shoes for the year and maybe once I’ll buy 3 or 4 discount $5 shirts for the year and a pair of jeans) But oh I could have clothed a village of small girls with all of the clothes I had amassed 5.5 years of daughters and 3 girls later…I myself hadn’t bought the stuff (except maybe 20 items…maybe) but I have tubs and totes full of beautiful dresses and hand me downs given to me by the generous hands of others….So this Autumn we are lightening up our closets and our storage area and we are sending some of our beautiful sundresses to Nicaragua and winter wear to a community give away….And there will be less of this daunting laundry to do and others who need the clothes smiling and happy….
One week during the study I spent only wearing 7 items of clothes and it wasn’t actually very hard…honestly it was freeing…I really don’t need very much in that way… no other people group or generation has every had such jammed closets of clothing and so little knowledge of how to clothe themselves…(I cannot sew!)  It’s a sad state of affairs, how cavalier our attitude towards our mass of clothes can become….
So as I think of that little Honduran woman in the village of Singing Frogs still taking her sheets and few items out to the tin pail with a washboard and scrubbing those clothes away in hot water and then letting those few items dry stiff in Equator strong sun… I am thankful for my generous loads and my lazy way to wash clothes..even if its rarely ever done :) 

Oh and for humor sake, one time trying to multitask I tried to take a full basket of laundry down  a flight of stairs and me and a child and a basket ended up that the bottom taken out by the laundry...sometimes laundry is just dangerous!

Comments

  1. Laundry can be VERY dangerous, so watch out!! Lovely post, thanks for sharing. Visiting from FMF.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…