Skip to main content

5 Minute Fridays- Worship

When I hear the word worship I have a kaleidoscope full of thoughts. My husband leads praise & worship so I think of praise team practice and song selection. I think of the Matt Redman’s lines, “I’ll bring you more than a song…I’m coming back to the Heart of Worship.” I think of Ann Voskamp admonishing that worship can involve scrubbing potatoes and piles of laundry. Within my minds eye are the words of Holy Holy Holy, and all the saints Adore Thee, bowing down and laying their crowns at Jesus’ Feet. And then I also picture that Nicaraguan church service I went to in college where the common accessory to every outfit every day is unending rivulets of sweat coursing down every inch of every one. I remember hearing songs with familiar tunes, but made up of a different language and filling the small cinder block church with the loud swell of a group of dirt poor believers excited to be there. I think of my days back at Liberty University when the feel of a Praise & Worship concert emanated at every church service. I remember listening to Meredith Andrews’ heavenly voice belting out scores of anthems to God and wanting so to be a part of the song. And all of that said, the number one thing that came to my mind is my three year old, Madelyn. My Madelyn is my middle child and I guess that is the reason of her marching to a different beat. She is my affectionate tousled blonde head that creeps down the stairs first in the morning and smothers my hands with kisses and curls into my lap. She is my child that is full of sunshine and rain. I know that the beams of her love might be strong and surging, but given a simple mis word that sunshine will soon blacken to a storm. I see the blue eyes cloud over, the brow furrow, and the storm brew. Madelyn and I have fought some battles, some about the color of cups and spoons she wants or doesn’t want, where she will sit, don’t dare help her do something that she was in mind to do herself but can't quite do yet (her hurricane howl will resound until she has let you know how hurt she is by being helped)  and yes we even have known the opinion of her name. Her name is Madelyn because my husband and I finally concurred on a name together, but two years in and Madelyn became “Madeline”.  Around age three she told me, “You named me Madelyn, but I named myself Madeline.” What does my Madelyn, the sometimes Madelion have to do with worship? Well she’s my child that always has a song in her heart. She has music in her soul and she loves to belt it out in the car, in the house, and at church. She can hear the faint strings of a song and start swaying her hips and reciting the words. My minivan must sound like “deaf cab” for cuties…literally as she keeps yelling over the throbbing beat of music, “Turn it louder!” I am thinking if I turn it louder everyone around me will think I’m purposely trying to rob my three children of all hearing. We finally agree and I mean I have to make her agree on a balanced decibel…and then I hear her and her sister singing the songs. One of her favorites right now is a song about Daniel which she yells, “Not going to bow to your idols! No We won’t bow Oh NO!” and from the look on her face you won’t doubt it . At church recently she got to go onstage twice and participate in the summer musicals. She laid it all out. She is a very petite, three year old with a head full of blonde hair, and a Winnie the pooh bear tummy that often peeks out of shirts, but she is a worshiper. She sings to God the songs she has practiced and learned and she gives all of her little body into doing all the motions and in a lull she just bounces her hips back and forth. My Madelyn is a worshiper when it comes to songs and she is a worshiper with her words too. I can always count on her to proclaim some truth about God and the deeper things of life at unexpected moments. She’s a plain talker and speaks everything emphatically. On the way over to grandma’s this week she stated from her car seat, “Mom people who don’t believe in God, just believe in themselves.” She routinely calls Satan the Father of Lies and even though I laughed the first time I heard her decry His reality over waffles and sausage patties one morning, she’s right and I’m glad she knows. She prays for people like her neighbors and her family to know God and she insists that even at three she already believes that Jesus has died for her and she is God’s child. Madelyn has that trust of a child that fully believes that God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will. I want my Madelyn’s heart. She teaches me all of the time. I imagine God singing over her as He says that He does, as she sings and pounds the floor with her heels, “Our God’s not dead! He’s surely alive! He’s living on the inside roaring like a Lion!”  She has a heart that trusts God and a heart that trusts God is at rest and then is free to really worship Him. 

Comments

  1. What a bundle of blessing she must be! Thanks for sharing your uninhibited worshipper with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...Roaring like a Madelion" - love the images - she has a lot to show you and everyone around you - about God, about praise, about worship... Not that you don't already know, but she was obviously made to spread His Word! What a wonderful post about a great family. Nice job, Mom....
    Have a great weekend with all your dynamos.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Days of Free Writes #Wave

Four summers ago the first weekend in September marked one month.  One month lived out shaky and unsteady.  Just putting a few steps in front of the other and letting tears drip down faces or anger spill out at the sky.  "Why?"
I had watched my husband shake violently at the graveside of his twenty-six year old brother as he sat a few inches from the casket.
My usually stoic husband reached out for the casket as he passed by and I heard his voice crack as he called out his name.  One more time. I had never seen him stricken with grief.  That groan of emotion haunted me.   Those fifteen minutes spent under the funeral home's green awning the last minutes his family would ever be within arms length of this special brother.  A brother who had just slipped quietly out of this life beneath the green gold water of a river one steaming August day.  Bare chested and tan, jumping off the dock with friends.  Never to resurface again.
A lot of that week in August was just wakin…

Five Minute Fridays - "Last"

Last is such a final word, it’s a word that always makes us sit back and take note. We take note of the fact that something is about to draw to an end and we better enjoy the last drops, savor the last bites before its all gone. Like that last hot week of summer that we spend soaking up every last beam of Vitamin D. Or that last couple bites of a once a year Christmas dinner, slowly swallowed down. Or maybe the last night of a vacation where we try to take note of everything and know that we are returning to real world, real bills, real deadlines all seemingly too soon. Two weeks ago I experienced a last. For seven months I was given a gift. It was truly an unexpected gift. One I had never anticipated being given. For the past six years my sister Faith and I have lived in different cities for most of the time. We always mused over the idea that we should've lived together for at least one year of college. But from icy January 4th to steamy August 10th I had the gift…

Morning

Five Minute Fridays
Morning

Morning seems sacred to me.  Having nocturnal children kind of robs me of the mornings I like to enjoy in silence and quiet thought.
For years I would get up at least two hours before anyone so I could just be by myself and be quiet.
My parents are early morning people that like to eat full breakfasts and watch the sunrise on the porch. There's something exciting about watching the day open its' eye lids with the first glints of sun playing on the horizon edge.  Pale blues and periwinkles rouse us out of pitch black and many times morning rises in strength with extravagant colors.  It signals something new.  A new twenty four hours.  A new chance. Kind of like a new little slice of life.  We are mesmerized at first at the idea of new.  It's beautiful, holy, and hopeful.
Morning breaks the night.
I love that Cat Steven's hymn Morning has Broken.  I've always thought the words were so beautiful.
Especially the last phrase, "God&…